Chapter 17: Merchant Meetings and Privateer Interrogations

*** 

The Stadwatch pushed us into the room, not caring that they were using more force than necessary. They pulled out chairs, slamming us into our seats. I wince slightly, but see that beside me Kaz keeps his neutral expression.

The one who sat me down in the middle pulled down my hood. Suddenly I became grateful for how I tucked the ends on my hair inside the jacket, not just the hood, to hide the bright (f/c) dye.

"Watch the coat," Jesper complained as he was shoved into his own chain on my left. "What's all this, then?"

"Somebody paid good kruge to spend time alone with you three," the lead officer told us.

On cue the doors behind him swung open, much louder than any normal person would deem necessary. An older man stands with a full suit on, his hair and mustache gray.

"Criminals."

I roll my eyes, recognizing the man on sight. Of course it's freaking Dressen. Why wouldn't it be? I don't know why I was surprised to see him. He is the one to have hired the Crows in the first place.

Kaz looks at me then looks down at his hands, not wanting to meet the merchant's eyes. Whether this was the same act he used with Per Haskell in the books or something else I can't tell. "Dressen."

The man walks in with his hands behind his back, stopping close to Kaz. The officer stood beside him, a satisfied smile on his face.

My gaze shifts to the bodyguards behind him. I can tell that something is off.

"Ten minutes. Alone." Dressen hands over a stack of kruge. "Out you go."

The officer leaves and the guards spread out across the room. I watch them carefully out of the corners of my eyes.

A man stands close behind Dreesen, catching my attention.

He is dressed well in all black, a hat on his head that leans slightly to the side and a long black coat. Despite the bodyguard appearance he is going for—something is wrong. His blue eyes shine bright and he looks too respectable for the people I've seen here in Ketterdam. Especially compared to the other bodyguards in the room.

It doesn't take me long to realize who I'm looking at.

Nikolai. The prince.

Sturmhond. The privateer.

I can't help but watch him as he looks over me and the two boys, moving onto surveying the room. My eyes linger on the emerald pins on the cuffs of his black jacket. Of course they are emeralds.

His blond hair also catches my attention. The princely hair that was always pictured. Trade the black ensemble for the famous bright teal jacket or the outfits he wears as prince of Ravka and he is perfect. Even his smile fits the character I'd always imagined.

The only difference is that he didn't have the dark red hair and scars that were described in his Sturmhond disguise, assuming he is here as Sturmhond and not Nikolai. A slight shame, but I won't complain. I get why that was changed.

"Who's the girl?" Dressen asks, but doesn't even address me directly.

I look over at Kaz, wondering what he would say.

"She's my new Crow."

A small smile crosses my face at the words. Sure I felt like I was one of them, but hearing Kaz say it made it official.

Dressen changes the subject. "So, are you going to tell me what happened?"

"We've been framed for murder?" Jesper tells him sarcastically.