Chapter 13: Cold Campfires and Saintly Deals

***

I leaned against Jesper, trying to steal some of his natural warmth as we all sat around the fire. His arm was wrapped around me, hand resting not far below my shoulder. Slowly he rubbed my arm in an attempt to comfort me, maybe trying to serve as a distraction from the pain in my side. I didn't even realize I had been hit before we got out of there. But now that we are out of that place and my adrenaline has worn off I could feel it.

My hood pressed awkwardly against my head, blocking the majority of him from my view. I could still see the others despite it though. Plus I still didn't want to take it down yet.

Something about showing my (f/c) hair here seemed like a bad idea.

Jesper shifted slightly underneath me in an attempt to get comfortable. It brought me back to the present. I leaned up slightly, supporting myself as he adjusted his position before tapping my arm to let me know I was fine to rest against him again.

Sensing someone behind me I looked back, seeing a black figure in the distance. I watched as Kaz walked over the hill. He leaned heavily on his cane, coming toward us. A brown bag was slung over his shoulder as he trekked through the frosty field.

The edges of my mouth curved into a faint smile seeing him again. Jesper followed my gaze and stood up from his place between me and Zoya. I followed suit.

"I've never met a Saint before," Inej tells Alina, still slightly awestruck.

Alina puts her hand on Inej's shoulder. "I've never been a Saint before."

"Wherever you are, whatever you need..." Inej places her hand on Alina's, "my hand is yours."

"I think I like that hand with a dagger in it. I couldn't hold onto yours, so take mine as a replacement."

I look away for a moment as Kaz hands the bag to Jesper, who ()

Alina holds the golden blade that I remembered.

"It's not much, but it'll fend off a bully or two."

Inej smiles and lets out a chuckle through the tears, inspecting the dagger. I was grateful that I managed to hold onto Santkya Marya.

Kaz stands behind me, watching the two as I smile widely.

"I know just what to name it."

Jesper steps closer to the fire. "Step one for any good plan, a change of clothes. It's worked for me."

Mal stands and takes the bag from Jes. "Thank you."

I offer Zoya my hand as I stand up, but she does it on her own. Inej helps Alina up. She still was recovering from what Ivan did.

Jesper walked back to the other side of me, making me almost sandwiched between him and Kaz.

"So... will you still be trying to kidnap me?" Alina asks, directing the question mostly at Kaz.

" 'Course not," Jesper answers, earning a side-eye.

"Have you found religion too?"

"No, it's just..." Jesper goes to argue, but just sighs. "I'm exhausted. Besides... it'd be bad form to kidnap someone after they saved your life."

I make a little face that says that I can't disagree with Jesper's statement. He isn't wrong, after all.

Kaz doesn't try to change his mind, moving on. "You are quite valuable, you know?"

My gaze shifts from Kaz to Alina, who makes her way over to us. When she stands near he lifts his head to look down at her, trying to show power.

"So is this," Alina tells him. I glanced down at the necklace, and the only word that came to mind was expensive. He takes it carefully in his gloved hand.