six.

The party went by smoothly. There was cake. Games. And small squabbles between y/n and Chikage.

In fact, the party had went so well that both families had long lost track of time as y/n was already passed out on the couch while using Chikage's shoulder as a pillow. The twelve year old soon to be thirteen didn't seem annoyed in the slightest. In fact, he was reading a book to pass the time.

"I think ..," Seika started as he looked at the two, "I think I'll agree to the terms you set, Itoyama."

"Hmm? Really?"

The man was a bit shocked. Ever since he proposed the idea, Seika had been very weary about it. Always changing the subject to different means of the two clans joining together.

"Yes ..," Seika began again, "looking at the two I can't help but to think that it would be the best option."

Standing up from the table, both Itoyama and Seika walked over to them. Chikage closing his book shut as he gave the two men a pointed glare.

I can feel the chills running down my spine!

The two mens' thoughts were in perfect sync when they saw Chikage's glare.

"Chikage."

"Son."

They looked to one another as the mother's looked at the scene before them. They knew when to speak up and when to keep quiet.

"Let me guess ... you two finally decided on a means of joining the two clans together, huh?"

"As sharp as ever my boy."

"Of course, father. You were the one who raised me after all."

Seika cleared his throat, "yes. About the means of joining the two clans together-"

"I already told you, didn't I? I don't mind marrying y/n."

Seika pressed his lips together. He was annoyed sure, but didn't this boy understand? Chikage would be marrying his daughter for crying out loud!

As said before, Chikage understood the meaning of two clans joining together between a marriage contract, but what he didn't quite understand yet was the feeling of love.

Oh, but that understanding would come later ...

"Well, yes. That is true-"

"Then don't get so worked up, Kurosaki. If you're so worried about how y/n will react, then I can just tell her myself tomorrow."

And that was exactly what Chikage planned to do.

Seika and Itoyama couldn't help but to sigh in defeat. Chikage was a smart one, that much was for sure.

And as the two men went back to their wives, Chikage had looked back to y/n who was still "sleeping" on his shoulder.

"I know you're awake," he muttered. His hand reaching up to pinch her cheek.

"Ouchie, there was no need for that," she whined quietly. Her own hand reaching to swat his away so she could rub at the sore spot.

"So, did you hear everything?"

"...yeah."

"And?"

She was quiet for a moment, but Chikage soon found himself enveloped into a hug.

"I don't really understand the whole marriage thing, but if we're together, then that means we can play for ever and ever!"

She laughed as she said this, their parents too engrossed into their own conversation to notice y/n.

Where Mikazuki went, Chikage wouldn't know.

But what he did know was that he liked how y/n smiled. It made him smile too.

"Yeah, but I'll probably get bored with all the simple games you come up with."

"Hey, it's not my fault that your games require more thinking! I'm only twelve!"

"Sure, sure. You just don't want to admit that you're stupid," he pinched her cheek again which caused her to swat away his hand once more.

"Meanie!"

He merely shrugged while closing his eyes. His dismissive attitude making her pout again.

Then, peeking one eye open and seeing how angry she was, he felt the corners of his lips tug into a smirk as he discreetly dug into pants pocket, gently pulling out a neatly folded cloth.

"Here. For your birthday, stupid oni."

"I'm not a stupid oni," she muttered while reaching for the cloth, "but thank you."

Grabbing onto the cloth, she felt how soft it was. Looking at him, he gestured for her to open it.

Unfolding it, she saw a single cherry blossom flower lying in the middle.

"Cherry blossoms are said to symbolize both beauty and violence. Life and death. Now, I'm not saying that I wish death upon you or anything. Just that I thought that a pretty flower should go to a pretty girl .. even if she's kind of stupid."

He just has to add in that last remark..

"Thank you," she said again. Her eyes fixated on the flower in her hands. The cloth protecting the petals ever so gently.

"Will you ... get me another flower on my next birthday?"

He tilted his head to the side, that same smirk on his face, "sure. If you pay me."

She laughed.

And laughed.

And laughed.

And little did she know ...

After Chikage and his family leaves to go back to their own home after finalizing the marriage contract, her beautiful flower will wilt in ash.