The Return

(The tourists enter the shop while the tour guide stays outside, taking a few steps towards a person who is standing near the shop.)

Sabine: Are you going to continue following me, Elijah, or do you wanna talk?

Elijah: You know who I am.

Sabine: Original vampire, always wears a suit. (Elijah smiles.) You and your family are famous amongst the witches, especially with your... brother back in town.

Elijah: Well, Niklaus is here because he learned that a witch was conspiring against him. Someone by the name of Jane-Anne Deveraux.

Sabine: Well, if he's looking for Jane Anne, he's a little late.

Elijah: Are you telling me she's dead?

Sabine: Come on, her sister Sophie's gonna want to talk to you.

(There is a crowd of witches. They stand, kneel and crouch sadly around the body of their fallen friend, Jane-Anne. The body lies on the ground, obviously dead, with blood on its neck. There are some flowers and candles around the corpse. Sophie Deveraux sits near her sister, weeping silently. All of the witches look depressed.)

(Elijah and Sabine, the witch tour guide, appear. Elijah is truly shocked. They stop a few hundred meters away from the mourning witches.)

Elijah: That's Jane-Anne? Killed in public for anyone to find...

Sabine: Only people that come around here are the witches. Now her sister has come to take her body. Her spirit can't rest until it's been properly interred in the cemetery.

"Please tell me that my brother had nothing to do with this." Elijah prayed.

Sabine: No. Jane-Anne died because she got caught doing magic.

Elijah: What do you mean she got caught doing magic?

(A loud whistle can be heard.)

Sabine: You wanna know who killed Jane-Anne? You're about to get your first glimpse of Marcel in action.

Elijah: The vampire Marcel?

Sabine: Things have changed since your family left town. Marcel has changed.

(Vampires approach the witches)

Sabine: I'm asking you, stay hidden. If Marcel finds out that a witch lured the Originals back into town, my people will be slaughtered.

(Elijah vamp speeds to a spot on a balcony, so he is hidden in the shadows.)

Marcel: Well, well, well, what have we here? I gotta tell you Soph, this street corner is not proving the luckiest spot for your family tonight. Not half an hour ago, we had to teach your sister a little lesson.

Sophie: We're putting her to rest Marcel. Leave us alone.

Marcel: I never said you could move the body. Matter of fact, I left her here for a reason: send a message. If anybody is thinking of joining some kind of rebellion, my rules state that witches can't practice magic in the Quarter and yet a little birdy informed me that Jane-Anne was cooking up something magically delicious. Oh, yeah. While I have you, quick Q&A. My old friend – the hybrid, Klaus – he just happened to show up out of the blue asking for, of all people, Jane-Anne. Any idea why?

Sophie: I don't know. Witches don't get involved in vampire business.

Marcel: Hmm. That would be pretty stupid, that's for sure. Tell you what, go back to the restaurant, cook up some of that famous gumbo, and keep those tourists happy. (To the vampires) Take the body.

Sophie: What? No! Stop! Stop! Marcel!

Marcel: I'm gonna hold on to your sister's body in case maybe you remember why Klaus is here.

Sophie: Marcel please. Her body won't be at peace.

Marcel: Not my problem.

(Marcel and the rest of the vampires walk away with Jane-Anne's body. Elijah is still standing on the balcony, watching them.)

(Rebekah is sitting in the bathtub, holding a glass of champagne in one hand and her cellphone in the other.)

Rebekah: You mean to tell me, after all these years, Marcel is alive and well?

Elijah: Quite. Our brother seems to have wandered into a war zone. And I haven't been able to find him. Marcel, who Klaus sired and brought up beneath his own wing, now rules a menagerie of savage vampires running wild, killing in public for any human to come upon. Witches are held in subjugation. I doubt Niklaus had any idea what he was walking into.

Rebekah: Sorry, what was that? I stopped paying attention at "our brother".

Elijah: Rebekah.

Rebekah: Our hateful, traitorous bastard of a brother, who's negated any sympathy I once had for him by his repeated efforts to ensure neither you nor I know happiness outside of his own selfish universe.

Elijah: Always and forever, Rebekah, that is what we once swore to each other.

Rebekah: Consider this me calling take-backs.

Elijah: Well, you've called take-backs dozens of times over the centuries and yet when our father found us and chased us from this very city...

city...

Rebekah: I may be old, Elijah, but I'm hardly senile. I know very well I stuck with Klaus, and not three years later he stuck a silver dagger in my chest and sent me into a magical slumber for ninety years. Do you know why? Because I had the audacity to try and live my life on my own without him.

Elijah: Enough. I believe our brother's in trouble, so what ever is going on between Marcel and the witches, it's dire enough that they'd risk bringing an Original back to town. The witches have lured him here, I'd like to know why.

(Elijah hangs up the phone.)