Naughty Old Witch

[Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room as each of them read their own book. Klaus is reading "A Poison Tree" by William Blake, and Elijah is reading one of his mother's grimoires. A dead girl lays on the coffee table, her neck bleeding from puncture wounds in her neck, while they listen to classical music. After a moment, Rebekah enters the room]

REBEKAH: So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?

Klaus: [continues reading] Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?

Elijah: Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus.

REBEKAH: And what's this business?

[She gestures to the dead girl on the table]

Elijah: This is a... [He gestures as though he's searching for a word] ...peace offering.

Klaus: [sighs] I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish.

Elijah: [annoyed] And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth.

[Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, and Elijah gestures to the girl on the table]

Elijah: Not this nonsense.

Klaus: [grins] Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?

REBEKAH: [annoyed] Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet.

[Elijah looks up from his book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor]

Elijah: Ah, yes.

[In voiceover, Klaus recites "A Poison Tree" by William Blake]

Klaus: [narration] I was angry with my friend: [Klaus looks at Elijah] I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: [In the French Quarter, Marcel walks into the Palace Royale Hotel, looking for Klaus] I told it not, my wrath did grow. And I watered it in fears, [Cami brings flowers to her brother's grave, only to find that someone spray-painted "MURDERER" in red paint across his gravestone] Night and morning with my tears; And I sunned it with smiles, [Father Kieran pulls wooden boards off of the windows of St. Anne's Catholic Church, and waves to a group of men standing outside the door to come in] And with soft deceitful wiles. And it grew both day and night, [Klaus looks over at Elijah, and then to Hayley as she walks through the room and into the kitchen, her hand resting on her pregnant belly] 'Til it bore an apple bright. And my foe beheld it shine. And he knew that it was mine. And into my garden stole When the night had veiled the pole; In the morning glad I see, My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

[Sophie chops up vegetables while she talks to Sabine, who is sitting on one of the tables. When Sophie sees her sitting on the kitchen prep table, she gestures toward her and makes a face]

SOPHIE: I cook on that, you know!SABINE: Don't get cranky with me! I'm the only witch who still likes you. SOPHIE: [stirs her gumbo before turning to Sabine] Yeah, it's not like I'm trying to save the witch heritage or anything.SABINE: They'll come around. They're just old-school. And scared.SOPHIE: [scoffs] Scared of what? Your prophecy about the hybrid baby? Agnes and her freak-show minions had a real field day with that one.SABINE: [shakes her head] I can't help what I see, Soph.SOPHIE: [smiles] Well, if you're psychic, I'm Martha Stewart! [She walks toward table to grab some celery] Scootch!

[Sophie returns to her table, and Sabine hops down to join her. She sees a shadow in her peripheral vision and gets suspicious. Suddenly, two people in black masks come out and lunge toward them]