Chapter 7

A/N: I'm sorry that this chapter isn't very good, I kind of rushed through it because I haven't had much time to write lately.

The next day, Sunday, Ethan  saw that Chloe had messaged him.

From Chloe: Hey, you want to hang out?

From Ethan: ok, where and when?

From Chloe: Are you free right now?

From Ethan: yeah

From Chloe: Alright meet at the coffee shop on Main Street at 2PM?

From Ethan: ok, i'll be there

From Chloe: See ya

Ethan showed up at the coffee shop at 2 PM.
He got seated and ordered a cup of hot chocolate with extra whipped cream and cinnamon. He watched people walk by outside the window, waiting for Chloe.

When she eventually showed up, her face lit up immediately upon seeing him. He grinned, waving. She approached his table and gave him a hug, sitting opposite from him.

"Hey, how are you doing?" she asked sweetly.

He took another sip of his hot chocolate. "Eh... I guess I'm fine?"

Chloe narrowed her eyes. "You don't sound alright."

"Uh, yeah, um.. nothing happened." He replied nervously.

Chloe frowned. "Okay," she said. She didn't press him. Instead, she said "Anyway, I wanted to meet up with you because I've been meaning to ask you something."

"Oh?"

"Yes. My birthday is coming up next Saturday and I was wondering if you wanted to come to the party? I hate texting, so I figured I'd just ask you in person. If you don't want to though, don't worry."

"Oh... yeah sure!"

"Great! I'll tell my parents to expect you then." Chloe said, smiling happily, putting her hands under her chin. "See you then!" She stood up and grabbed her bag.

"Bye, Chloe!"

"See ya later Ethan!" she called back as she left the coffee shop.

Ethan sipped his hot chocolate slowly and thought for a moment. He was surprised by what he had just agreed to do. Sure, he wasn't thrilled by the idea, but it seemed like an amazing opportunity to get closer to Chloe. And maybe having fun at the party would help him forget about all his problems.

***

When Ethan got home, he saw his mom waiting for him. "Where were you?" she asked sternly as soon as she saw him.

"With a friend from school." Ethan explained. He started to realize, with a sinking feeling, that there was no way she'd let him go to a party. But he might as well ask. "Also... My friend's birthday is coming up and she invited me to her party...? Do you mind if I go? I mean... It won't be such a big deal..."

"And who is this 'friend'?" she pressed, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"Umm... Her name's Chloe."

"Well, at least it's another girl. I don't feel comfortable when you hang around boys. What's Chloe like?"

"She's 16, really nice, likes to read. She doesn't seem like the type to do drugs or anything."

His mom relented. "Okay, you can go. Remember, no drinking, no drugs, and no funny business with the opposite sex. Is that clear?"

"Sure."  The phrase "funny business with the opposite sex" made him want to laugh because of how outdated it was, but he kept a straight face.

"If there's any trouble, call us instantly."

"Okay, Mom, I will."