11- The Malfoy Ball

Cassie spent most of the summer reading on the roof of the Peverell Estate, completing her homework and going to Draco's.

Some days her cousin, Cassius, would come to the manor with her aunt Priscilla and they would spend all day playing quidditch one on one in her garden.

Though Cassius was a spectacular chaser like Cassie, he was only a reasonable keeper, which was why Cassie scored goal after goal against him.

She barely saw her mother, which she had expected. Her mother was a busy woman. She heard from her friends often; Pansy regularly sent treats back from Paris with Attie, and she caught up with Laurie, who was touring Italy with his parents.

In the middle of August was the annual Malfoy summer Ball. The normally dim lit halls were decked with streams of fairy lights, and flowers were suddenly scattered across the gardens. Lanterns were enchanted to stay on the ceilings, while the ceiling itself had been enchanted to look like the nights sky for the evening.

The dress code was summer themed, so she wore an a-line white tulle dress that was embroidered with a cream floral design that stopped at the end of her bodice, and her dark hair was down with a handmade flower crown running though it.

Cassie and her mother floo'd into Malfoy Manor, to find Narcissa there to greet them. "Violet! Cassiopeia! How wonderful to see you both again!"

"The place looks wonderful Narcissa," her mother said, looking around.

"Oh thank you, Violet, but my house elf did most of it. Draco will be glad you're here, I suspect he is getting a little bored, Cassie dear. I think I saw him talking with Blaise."

"Who's Blaise, darling? I haven't heard you mention him." Her mother asked.

"Blaise Zabini. He's one of my friends from school." Cassie replied, scanning the room for them.

Her mother pursed her lips. "Hm. I've heard of his mother. I take it he is Slytherin?"

"Of course." She spotted Draco and Blaise by the food table over in the corner. "I'll see you later Mother," she excused herself, as she crossed the room.

"Cassie!" Blaise called as he spotted her heading towards them. He ran towards her and engulfed her in a huge hug, making her giggle.

"It's Great to see you too Blaise!" She laughed.

Hey D," she turned to him.

"Finally!" He scowled.

She turned to see all the adults sit around the table in the centre of the room.
Mr Malfoy was sat at the head of the table looking like he was holding court with his army of expensively dressed men in suits. They were all discussing things in hushed voices, some even pointing to their forearms.

"What's that about?" Cassie asked.

"That's what we wondering," Blaise explained.

Draco shifted on his feet. "What is it?" Cassie asked.

"Father's been acting odd all summer."

"What for?" Cassie frowned.

He gestured for them to move closer, as he whispered, "I don't know. I overheard my father in his study a few weeks back, and I heard him mention a diary, and... and the chamber of secrets."

"What?" Cassie exclaimed, earning Draco and Blaise hurriedly trying to shush her.

"Be quiet!" Blaise whispered.

"The chamber of secrets?" She blinked, her heart racing.

The chamber of secrets was the biggest legacy Salazar Slytherin left behind. It was his greatest achievement.

"What about it?"

"I don't know! I had to stop because he was about to walk out of the room,"

"You two get how important this is don't you?" Cassie asked.

"Of course we do Cas! But we don't know the context yet, do we!" Blaise sighed.

"Who opened it last time? Draco that was a little before your father's time at Hogwarts wasn't it?" She asked.

He feigned a hurt look. "Father's not that old Cas!"

"Could you imagine if it got opened again," Blaise sighed. "It would be so cool,"

"You know who else has been acting weird? Dobby," Draco said thoughtfully.

"Dobby?" Blaise asked.

"My house elf. He seems to have ironed his hands quite a lot recently, more then he normally gets punished. I mean maybe it's because father's been a little more stressed, but I don't think so."

Cassie loved Dobby. Ever since her and Draco were small, he took care of them and gave them more attention then their parents ever did.

"I'm sure he's fine," She reassured him.

Cassie looked back to her Mother, and the large table that was now filled with adults.

"One day that will be us," She said, a gleeful pride in chest.

"I know!" Draco said grinning, and he sighed. "I can't wait to get out of Hogwarts and do something."

"Mother's never really been into all that stuff," Blaise began. "But I think she definitely admires your parents, D."

"She's probably too busy killing her own husbands," Draco muttered to Cassie, and she giggled.

"Peverell!" A voice called over to them.

She turned to find Marcus Flint walking over to them. Flint was a soon-to-be sixth year, and the captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team. He was a muscular, tall boy that looked more like a man, with a chiselled jaw and dark eyes.

"Flint! I didn't know you were invited!" She said.

He nodded at her. "My father works at the ministry with Lucius. Which means you must be Draco?" He asked Draco. "I've heard you're quite a seeker?" He raised his bushy eyebrows.

Draco seemed to stand up straight all of a sudden. "Well that's what I play," he said nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders.

"Let's hope you're good. I've heard some things from your father about how much you train. Terrance Higgs has left now, so there's a spot on the team."

He turned to Cassie again. "I expect to see you at tryouts too Peverell. Even if I only saw you for two weeks, you still seem extraordinary. People are already talking about you and you're not on the team yet. And tell Nott, wherever he is, that he better show up too. "

He nodded at Blaise and Draco, before walking off to meet with a few of his fellow Slytherin sixth years that appeared to have just arrived.

"Are you guys going for the tryouts then?" Blaise asked.

"Of course! We'll get in, obviously." Cassie said confidently.

"And we'll beat the shit out of Harry Potter." Draco agreed, and they swore on it.

"Gryffindor won't know what hit them."

_____
Word count: 1086

Wow look at me, I'm actually posting a day earlier then I'm supposed to 😁

So second year is finally here... and I have some fun things planned this year 😉😉

Have a great week!