10. sticky notes

"Hello?" Heeseung heard as soon as he picked up the phone.
"Sunoo, hey. What's up?" the boy replied.
"A lot, actually," Sunoo laughed and sighed. "I'm pretty sure you know at least something's going on between Jay and Jungwon?"
"Of course. It's saddening."
"I assume you've heard Jay's side of the story?"
"Yes. And you, Jungwon's?"
"That's right." Sunoo paused. "What do you think about getting them back together? You know, kinda help patch them up? Because they won't talk about it to each other. They'll only open up to us."
Heeseung considered it. He kinda was planning to do the same thing anyway, but he knew it was risky. And so he put forth that to Sunoo: "you do know that if anything happens to go wrong, it'll be our fault? We could lose one of their lives, Sun. You know what I mean."
"Yeah, I know. But let's work something out. It's honestly worth a shot."
"Alright. I'm in."

That's how it began.

Today was the day the two masterminds who'd spent the past few days breaking their backs, heads and hearts over the couple would execute their plan.

Jay’s phone rang as he was making breakfast for himself and Jungwon. He was being elaborate that day for no particular reason; just because he'd woken up before Jungwon and had time before the latter shuffled drowsily upto him and complained, “I’m hungryyy~” in a groggy, baby voice.

He quickly answered the phone without looking at the caller id and spoke into it: “Hello?”
“Jay, hi. Are you free?”
Jay picked the phone off his ear to look at the caller id, then. Heeseung.
“Yes, I am. Why?”
“I need to have a chat with you. Preferably in person. Come to the coffee shop at xx-xxx street?” Heeseung sounded apprehensive, and his voice carried all the worlds burdens on it.
“Sure. Jungwon hasn’t woken up yet, so I’ll leave breakfast on the table and I’ll be there in ten minutes, tops,” Jay explained, taking the croffles out of the waffle maker and leaving them on the table.
“Cool. No rush, take your time, but arrive safely,” the older said.
“Okay. Bye.”

Jay changed into a shirt and loose jeans as he scribbled “gone out, breakfast on table, xx” on a sticky note and stuck it on the table next to Jungwon’s food.

He opened the door and shut it quietly, so as to not wake the boy up.

Jungwon tore his eyes open to the sound of his phone ringing.
“Which asshole calls at bloody… oh shit it’s 8:30 already?” He yawned and answered the phone, realising it was Sunoo calling.
“Bitch?”Jungwon croaked.
“HAHAHA DID I WAKE YOU UP?” Sunoo cackled on the other end of the line.
“Yes. It better be urgent or I’m going back to sleep.
“It kinda is. Will you meet me outside the coffee shop at xx-xxx street? We need to talk. In person.”
“Okay sure. I’ll see you there.”
“Bye, sleepyhead,” Sunoo giggled.
“Fuck you, I love you,” Jungwon grunted, before laughing and hanging up.

Jungwon wolfed down the meal Jay had made for him and quickly changed into a t-shirt and jeans before he stepped out, taking the spare keys with him.

He met Sunoo outside the coffee shop, who was on his phone. He was wearing a loose black Nirvana t-shirt with black jeans. Converse on his feet — just like Jungwon, and a chain around his neck.
'this boy,' Jungwon chuckled inwardly 'overdressed all the time.'

"Hello hello," Sunoo smiled, his eyes forming upturned crescents.
"I'm still not fully awake, by the awake."
"By the… awake?"
"Fuck, is that what I said? I meant by the way," Jungwon facepalmed.
"Maybe a coffee will help, haha!" Sunoo chuckled nervously.
They walked into the café and met Heeseung and Jay on one of the tables. Jay, who had been talking with great joy and energy suddenly fell silent, and his face hardened as if he'd seen a corpse.
Jungwon, who was still sluggish and drowsy, suddenly stood up straighter and looked alert.