13. finale

And so it was their wedding day.

Jungwon stood in front of the mirror, adjusting his tux while Dalhyun helped with his tie.

"Nervous?" She asked, patting her son on the shoulder.

"Sort of. What if I suddenly start malfunctioning and stumble on the aisle? Or what if I genuinely malfunction and call a whole swarm of houseflies to the priest? Oh fuck right you're the priest. But like–" Jungwon's little ramble was cut off by his mom shushing him.

"My darling boy, this is meant to be. So what if you call a swarm of houseflies? So what if you stumble on the aisle? It makes no difference to the love you and Jay have for each other. Right? And that's what this day is all about. Okay? I don't want you to worry. Besides, if I sense anything going wrong, I'll cover for you." The woman winked and cupped Jungwon's face in her palms. "I love you so much, my little one." She pressed a kiss to his forehead.

"I love you too," the boy said, melting into Dalhyun's arms.

In a minute, Sunoo would poke his head into the room and tell Jungwon to get out there. His mother would leave him now to play the role of the priest. Heeseung would be playing the piano out there in the garden (they couldn't have the wedding in the church because gay marriages were considered unholy but legal). Jay's parents would be there; Chaeyoon's eyes would probably be watering, he thought. In about 7 minutes, he and Jay would be officially married, entitled to and belonging to each other forever. He let a tear roll from his eye. He looked in the mirror. He saw a boy in a tux, looking grown-up, not ready to be an adult, but also a man desperately wanting to live the prime of his youth. He saw the ghost of someone who'd grown tired of living several lifetimes and usually cutting his way out of most of them, but also the spirit of a newborn, absorbing every ounce of the world with pure curiosity.

He was ready for his life ahead.

"Wonie?" Sunoo peeped through the door of his room.

"I have to walk now?"

"Yes yes yes, good luck!"

Jungwon took a deep breath and stepped out with Sunoo.

When his eyes landed on Jay, his heart skipped a beat. The light of the sun fell in his eyes, turning them golden brown. A gentle breeze tousled his hair. His lips were plush and pink, his smile creating a little dimple on his cheek. He looked so perfect in a tux, so fine. Like a mural, like a sculpture. He would never get over how lovely his boyfriend, soon-to-be husband, was.

And the same goes for Jay. As he saw the love of his life walk down the aisle towards him, he felt a swell in his chest. He looked so innocent, so precious, like a little child, yet so grown up and mature. The way he smiled made butterflies thrash around in his stomach. He felt as if he was falling in love all over again.

Jungwon tried his best to not call upon a swarm of houseflies, but he did accidentally call a bunch of little white butterflies to circle around Jay. Everyone thought it was kinda pretty, though, and so he didn't mind that. He didn't stumble or even trip over the tiny pebbles.

When they stood face to face with Dalhyun between them, they both broke into a smile. Jay mouthed, "don't cry" and winked. Jungwon rolled his eyes and winked back. The piano music stopped and Dalhyun began speaking.

"Beloved souls present here today, we are gathered to join Yang Jungwon and Park Jongseong in holy matrimony. In all honesty, I've only prepared that bit of the speech," this sent a ripple of laughter through the crowd, "so I'm going to have to wing the rest. To know the undying love, the passion, the duty and struggle these two men have been through for each other, depicts a sort of devotion that is about as hard to find as a four-leafed clover. That said, you both are incredibly lucky to have each other." Dalhyun paused and lifted both boys' hands and joined them. They looked into each other's eyes, both a little glassed over with tears. "Do you, Park Jongseong, take Yang Jungwon as your husband, promise to be true to him in sickness and in health, for rich or for poorer, and love and honour and cherish him for all the days of your life, until death do you part?"