011

Argus had driven the trio out of the countryside and into western Long Island

Argus had driven the trio out of the countryside and into western Long Island. The ride had been quite enough, with Percy and Irene watching out the windows of the van as everything passed by.

"So far so good," Percy said to Irene at one point. "Ten miles and not a single monster."

"You jinxed it," Nico groaned.

"Maybe?" Percy admitted, shrugging. Poseidon sighed.

"With our luck it won't last," Irene responded with a huff, turning a page in the book she had been reading.

Traffic slowed the van down in Queens and by the time they reached Manhattan, it was sunset and starting to rain.

"Always a great way to start a quest," Thalia said sarcastically.

Argus dropped the trio at the Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side, not far away from Percy's apartment. Taped to a mailbox were two soggy flyers with Percy and Irene's faces on them: Have you seen me?

Percy ripped both flyers down and threw them in the nearest trash can.

"Won't it be more difficult if someone sees you two during the quest, since you were reported missing?" Piper asked the two.

"Yeah if someone cares enough to notice,"

Nobody was sure that made them feel any better. These were two pre-teens, why wouldn't somebody notice them and help?

"But Irene is the Girl-Who-Lived!" Ronald Weasley said in confusion. "Surely those American know how important she is,"

"Actually the wizards in America are pretty cool and know how to mind their own business," Irene said.

Argus unloaded their bags, made sure they had their bus tickets, then drove away, the eye on the back of his hand opening to watch them as he pulled out of the parking lot.

Percy was staring in the direction of their apartment, where his mother was likely already home from work at the candy store and Smelly Gabe was playing poker with his buddies.

A few Gods exchanged glances when their kids weren't looking, namely Poseidon and Apollo. They silently nodded, in agreement that they would do something about that mortal regardless of what the rules said.

Grover shouldered his backpack. He gazed down the street in the direction Percy was looking, and Irene shrunk her book again.

"You want to know why she married him, Percy?"

"Were you reading my mind or something?" Percy asked.

"Just your emotions," He shrugged. "Guess I forgot to tell you satrys can do that. You were thinking about your mom and stepdad, right?"