016

The next two days of the quest are spent on the train, traveling west through hills, over rivers, and past waves of grain

The next two days of the quest are spent on the train, traveling west through hills, over rivers, and past waves of grain. They weren't attacked once, but that didn't mean they could let their guard down.

Percy admitted to Irene he felt as if they were in a display case, being watched from above and below.

"Creeps."

They tried to keep a low profile during the ride, knowing their names and pictures had been on the front pages of several East Coast newspapers. One newspaper featured a photo taken by a tourist as they got off the Greyhound bus.

While Irene spent the ride reading a large but normal-looking book, Percy paced the length of the train car back and forth, unable to sit still for long periods of time.

Through the window, he had watched a family of centaurs galloping across a wheat field as they hunted lunch and waved at one of the young ones. Nobody else noticed.

Later on, he swore he saw a lion that's fur glittered golden in the sunlight, except the fact that lions didn't live in the wild in America and it was the size of a tank. It leaped through the trees and was gone in an instant.

The reward money from Gladiola had been enough to purchase tickets as far as Denver. The boys dozed in their seats, Percy leaning on Irene's shoulder with her vanishing his drool every once in a while as she continued her book.

Percy sighed in embarrassment, not looking at Irene or Apollo.

"Nobody was gonna tell me that I drooled that much in my sleep?"

"We did."

"I thought you were joking!"

When Grover's fake foot fell off, Irene stuck it back on before any passenger had noticed.

Irene glanced over at Percy when he began mumbling in his sleep, eyebrows furrowed and looking stressed.

"I won't help you.."

Percy eventually sat up and rubbed his eyes. This was the second time he'd had that dream of the evil voice from the pit, and it was bothering him.

"You good?" Irene asked without looking up from her book. Percy looked over her shoulder at the book she was reading.

"You didn't ask about his dreams?"

"He would have told me on his own anyways."

He simply sighed and told her, briefly, what had been happening in his dreams.

She hummed, thinking but didn't look away from her book. Percy noticed the images were moving and thought about how cool that would be in a history textbook.

Molly Weasley was red in the face when she began ranting about how dangerous and irresponsible it was to have a magical book out in the open.

"You think I'm dumb enough to not have something hiding them damn book?"