Chapter 9

We manage to run the mile to the bridge without too much trouble, mainly because I distract everyone we pass by making us practically invisible to the mind. I look over the edge of the bridge, it's not too far down, but I have had a fear of water since I was little. I think I may have drowned or something, I don't remember, but it is there. Everyone else is already jumping over the bridge, everyone except Vivian that is, and she is staring at me and wondering why I'm not jumping. I take a deep breath and dive into the water to make her remember we are on a time crunch and there is no time for lolly-gagging. Apparently, I didn't mention I couldn't swim, I never really tried and I ignored any time it was mentioned, so, once I was in the water I started fighting my way towards the surface. Which did not really move me much, so I may have started panicking just a little. My lungs started burning and I decided to try clawing towards the surface which had more effect. When I broke the surface of the water I had enough time to cough and inhale some water before going right back under. My lungs couldn't take any more of this so they decided to try and make me breathe underwater, an ability Mr. Black forgot to put into the serum. Long story short, I drowned. The next thing I know is pain, and that I'm coughing up a bunch of water. I gather from the other's memories that Grunty power swam and got me out of the water and Vivian freaked out and did CPR on me and brought me back to life and I'm thankful, but can I just say ow? Man, it hurts to drown. I lay on the ground for a good two minutes before I started getting up.
"KEATON WILL!" Vivian screams in my ear and I'll admit I flinched, but hey, I did just die. Give me a break. "You are NOT getting up right after you drowned are you?!" I think she's going to cause my ear to ring, and the last thing I need is MORE pain.
"She is right, Keaton, you need to rest a moment, not get up and push your body more," Delilah says in her southern accent that is growing on me. Vivian is still glaring at me for moving, but I am halfway up already, may as well just stand up. I manage to get all the way up, but I'm shivering and the ground seems to be being pulled out from underneath me. Suddenly, Sheldon appears behind me, holding me up. Am I allowed to hate life at this moment? I rub my head and stand up again without Sheldon's help. Miranda is also glaring at me,
"How dumb are you? You of all people should know not to push yourself."
"Not very I swear," my voice is croaky as if a frog was trying to talk. "I'm more concerned with getting caught. We all know we won't be killed but will wish very much that we were because of Siphon, who will be allowed to use his powers to their fullest extent for hours on end. I for one would not like to experience that, especially seeing as I've already died today." I answer and then start coughing very roughly. I can tell I've only prolonged the lectures I am bound to get because of my extremely valid points. "We should get moving, they will start tracking us here soon," I say as I turn to start running the three miles it will take to get to the hotel. I'm not going to lie, this part hurt a lot. My lungs did not want to open up enough for me to get enough oxygen while I was running so I had to stop every quarter mile for me to wheeze and catch my breath and cough up a lung. Luckily I didn't completely cough up my lungs, because I kind of need those, even if they are trying to make me stop moving and pass out. We eventually make it to the hotel and I try to stop wheezing and coughing long enough to get inside and not look like I should be in a hospital, I also try to not look like I've just drowned because I worked here as a college student so I know most everyone who works here, and the front desk worker Maggie can and will send me to the hospital if I do need to go. The problem is, I can't go to the hospital right now because I'm running from the Police and Mr. Black. I manage to pull myself together enough to not look like a wreck and I walk across the street and inside, surrounded by Vivian, Delilah, and Miranda, who are all - annoyingly enough - both worried and mad at me and won't let me leave their sights. When did I become this important to them? I guess I am the one with telepathy so I should know, but this seems sudden. I try to not trip over my own feet because the world is spinning like a top again, and make it to the front desk. Maggie takes one look at me and knows somethings wrong,
"You look like you've been run over by a truck," she tells me.
"Oh trust me, I feel like it too," I mumble. "Do you have the rooms ready?" I ask to steer the attention off of my health because I can feel three sets of daggers pointed at the back of my head. Maggie nods and hands me the keys, she isn't worried or surprised by Grunty because I told her about him - that he was being tested on by a bunch of crazy, mad scientists - so she set up an extra big bed for him and some refreshments in all of the rooms. I hand out the keys and hold back the wheezing and coughing because I know Maggie will send me to the hospital. I make it into my room and go in far enough to start coughing without being heard. Whenever I stop, I check the room for bugs, then I fall onto the bed and nearly lose my lungs again. This is getting old quickly.
When I finally stop coughing I hear a knock at the door and know it's Vivian. I inwardly groan because I can hear how mad she is still, plus, I know she's going to be speaking for the rest of the girls and not just her. I sigh tiredly and somehow convince myself to get up and answer the door like a gentleman. I cover up how exhausted and done I am and I open the door and wave her in. She comes in and sits on my bed and waits for me to come to sit next to her before hugging me, and telling me everything she wanted to say via thoughts, I'll summarize because there was a lot of repeating, and since I'm too tired to care I haven't been listening to the thoughts around me. Basically, she and the other girls are worried I will get sick and not be able to lead them to our designated spot of safety, and that I should not have run three miles after drowning, oh yeah, and told them that I don't know how to swim. Apparently, that was mildly important. The rant went on for a few more minutes before I sighed tiredly, effectively letting her know that it was time to go because I'm actually planning on taking their advice and sleeping. Of course, instead of leaving as I asked, she feels my forehead to check my temperature. I gently take her hand away from my face, "Whatever could possibly be wrong with me will go away with sleep ok? So can I sleep now?" My voice was surprisingly not croaky and was kind of gentle, almost sweet. I wonder if that's a side effect of drowning. She nods but is still worried about me. Crushes can be so annoying sometimes, but she gets up and leaves quietly after making sure I would be ok for the night, and I assured her I would be. Once she's gone Ifall back onto my bed and breathe a sigh of relief at being able to lay down. I had Maggie prepare a bag for each of us with everything we would need for traveling for a couple of weeks, and don't worry I did pay her for everything. I don't even take the time to look through it before passing out.

(1460)

Sorry for being late btw. I completely lost track of what day it was lol