🖌 Insanity

Lyra;

The sun was slowly setting, turning the sky a bloodred. Almost like it was alerting us of what was coming. What I didn't anticipate. A cold breeze passed by us like it was pushing us to walk faster to the restaurant.

I wasn't dreading this moment because it's my family I'm meeting, in fact, I'm excited to see them after so long, but for about three months, I've been dreading this moment because I might have to confront my parents.

Even after the countless times Apollo assured me that there is nothing to be stressed about, I still fear having to hear their criticism. My parents and I don't have a terrible relationship, if truth be told, we have a blissful one majority of the time.

But when we don't, it's the most distressing time of my life. I have never felt true agony except when it had to do with something between my parents and I, most likely a fight we had. Being the oldest daughter and the middle child most of my life, I was told to be and do so many things.

Be a role model.

Don't do something childish.

Be quiet.

Do something useful with your life.

I felt controlled most of my life by them, and they used the excuse 'it's for your own good' or 'it's because we care about you', and believe me, I know they're looking out and caring for me.

But sometimes the line between care and irrationality blurs, making it so hard for them to understand that what they're doing or saying is amiss. Most of the times this has happened, I questioned whether I truly deserve to be treated that way.

'of course, you don't deserve that! no one does. I'm not going to tell you whether your parents deserve that you cope the pain or not, because that's something for you to decide. But I won't tell you that parental love isn't worth all the sorrow either. I would do anything to have my mother back and have her hold me or speak to me, hell, she can scold me if it means I get to see her again.' Apollo explained me the night I told him about my family.

What I didn't tell him was that I feel guilty because I'm the cause of most of their fights whether it's with me or with each other. There are times I truly hurt my parents, not physically but verbally.

'Don't yell at me!'

'I don't care! You yelled at me first.'

'Get up and do something useful, stop sitting around.'

'I hate you!'

So many things that I've said and done make me squirm in discomfort. I promised myself I wouldn't do that again and I'm planning to keep that promise.

"Do you see them?" Apollo leaned in and whispered in my ear once we got inside the restaurant.

I scanned the room for any sign of my family but to no avail. I shook my head and walked a bit more inside the restaurant.

"Mom! He took the phone from me!" A child shrieked.

"Give the phone back to your brother." A woman's voice called, trying to keep her voice down.

Two voices I know better than anything.

"Found them." I pointed towards the table with the most chaotic family. Both of us walked slowly up to the table, making all five heads turn our way.

"It's Lyra!" Ajax's voice ran through my ear like a lawnmower.

"Look who decided to finally show up." Adrian spoke with a sarcastic tone. Like always.