♫ Fatality

Apollo;

Death is a concept not so unfamiliar to me, but no matter how many times death is around me, I never get used to its haunting presence. I don't fear death, no, but I fear the loss that comes with it.

"My condolences." I heard those words for the hundredth time today. Some where condolences to me, some where to Ameera and Travis, and some where to Ajax who didn't know more than that his sister left us.

She didn't leave us, though, she's still there covered in a white dress. How did they expect the child to think she abandoned him? It wasn't her fault. She wanted to save that child. She would've wanted someone to save Ajax.

But she never thought she'd die for it.

"Would someone like to say a few words?" The funeral was almost coming to an end.

I didn't want to come at first, but that changed after a talk I had with Luna when she came to my pit of sorrow, my bed, where I depended on the comfort of Aleah, who was abandoned by Mariah after she heard the news. She couldn't handle keeping anything that reminded her of Lyra without bursting into tears.

Luna was the first to stand up and say a few words. She cleared her throat. "Today, the Nosa Lisa came to me-" she was cut off by Ajax.

"The Nosa Lisa isn't real!" His voice shattered our ear drums.

Luna let out a sad chuckle. "She may not be real, but she did tell me to tell you the truth. Well, it was more like something Lyra would say, she would want me to tell you the truth. You see, half of these people crying are liars. If they were truly sad because Lyra is gone, they would've treated her better when she was alive. You don't get to tell people how amazing she was, when you were the reason that she cried every night." Her voice grew an octave higher, the same way her sister's voice did.

She looked across the audience. "She wasn't perfect. She wasn't the polite daughter or the caretaker, but she was impulsive and loud with the truth. You couldn't talk to her about misogyny without getting a bit of her mind. She was energetic and funny and lively. I could trust her with anything because she and I were a team. Well...not anymore, anyway." She leaned over the microphone stand and sobbed softly. Her shoulders shook. Her sniffles grew louder.

With tears in her eyes, she continued. "Mom? Dad? I know you lost a daughter, one that you openly showed you loved...up until a certain point. You stopped kissing her goodnight or tucking her in. You stopped giving her hugs and 'I love you's. She was the difficult, disrespectful child. You made sure to hurt her. Mom, remember when you'd call her a failure and wished she died in your womb? Dad, remember when you told her she was good for nothing and that she isn't worth all the money you paid for her? Because I remember it all." She yelled the last part through her tears.

"My sister was an 'A' student all her life. She could paint the world and turn words into art. She was so talented. She defended me all the time and even though we fought, she wouldn't stay mad for a full hour. So, no, you aren't allowed to cry for the Lyra that died. You can only cry for the Lyra you once loved. If you ever hurt Lyra, you don't deserve to be here." She scoffed and wiped away a trail of tears. She rejected any hand that tried to help her and sat in the back seats.

More people were asked If they want to give a word. Her parents refused to speak after everything Luna said, because they knew it was true. Adrian wouldn't speak to anyone. Mariah said a few words and feel back into tears. Anyone that tried to speak, couldn't handle it. Even Alexandra tried to say a few words but one glance at Lyra's picture, and tears were streaming down her face.

"Is there anyone else that wants to say some last words?" I stood up and walked to the podium and up to the microphone stand.

I took a moment to look at the audience. Faith was in Max's arms, leaning against his chest. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, remembering Lyra in my arms. I saw Alexandra with Miguel, both with jasmines in their hair. I saw Mariah holding Liz's hand, who was looking down at her lap in silence. I saw Olivia, Wayne, and Ben Giving me encouraging smiles.