«chapter twenty-one: memories»

___________________

___________________

SHADOWCAT'S POV

"I can't reach Thirteen," M'gann sighs, looking at us conflictedly. "Last I heard, she was at the Tower of Fate, training with Zatanna."

  "We'll manage," Artemis reassures her as she gets her weapons ready.

  "I know," M'gann agrees before adding, "But it's a team mission to recover one of our own. And she's part of the Team."

  "I'll sub in for her," Nightwing says, making me look at him as if he has grown two heads.

  "Excuse me?" I question, crossing my arms over my chest.

  He doesn't respond, and Tigress looks between us and says, "Dick, you're still..."

  "I'm traught, whelmed, and feelin' the aster," He says, looking at her before his eyes flicker to me. "I'm going."

  "I do not believe we could keep him here if we tried," Kaldur interjects before I can.

  "You think?" Nightwing scoffs with a grin on his face.

  "Which is why I am going," Kaldur crosses his arms. "I promised to watch over you."

  He promised me and Barbara. Which means this is his way of subtly trying to ease my worrying.

  "And since you're going..." M'gann trails off, not sure where she stands as the leader. He is in charge of the whole league so I would be confused too.

  "I am strictly back-up," Kaldur holds his hands up in surrender, "As you said, Halo is your teammate. This is your team, your mission."

  "I'm going too then," I say, causing several of them to give me a look. Or look pass me because suddenly someone puts their hand on my shoulder. I turn around to see Wally looking at me suspiciously. "What are you doing?" I ask annoyed.

  "Trying to make sure you are sane," He responds, "You haven't screamed or tried to hurt me yet."

  He means when I thought Dick was dead. When I saw that I killed him. He, holding my shoulder like this, was one of the triggers.

  I didn't tell Dick what it was. I never had the courage to tell him. M'gann is still the only
one that knows the true fear was me killing him.

  "I will if you don't get your paws off of me," I warn, unfazed, making him take back his hand.

  "I think she is good," Wally states looking over me at the others.

  "Wally, I could have told you that she is fine," M'gann raises an eyebrow before she looks to me. "But are you sure, you seem-"