«chapter thirty-four: ego and superego»

___________________

___________________

NIGHTWING'S POV

I look nervously around, making eye contact with Artemis.

She frowns and shakes her head, telling me Brooke hasn't texted her saying she is running late.

Something isn't right. Brooke is never late, and if she is, she lets us know she is running late.

Like the other day when she was with Will. I roll my eyes under my mask as I think about it.

"Should we-" Rocket's voice dies out as she gasps and then glares at someone behind us.

We all turn and my blood runs cold as we face down a Shadow.

My thoughts race to the worst as I step forward, "What did you do with Brooke?" I question as Artemis aims an arrow at his chest.

The Shadow looks at us in surprise, and then I realize what he is thinking. Where is Brooke?

She lost him.

And despite me being worried, I can't help the smirk on my face when I realize, pride blooming in my chest. "She lost you."

Just as I finish the sentence, he turns, and Brooke jumps off of a crate, slamming her foot into his face before flipping away. She lands and immediately flips back, dropping low to kick his legs out.

She lands in a crouch and my muscles immediately relax when I see her. She's okay... And she used my move.

I turn my glare to the assassin as Brooke stands up.

She takes a few steps back to put some distance between him and her.

_____________

"I'm a little offended." I speak, my eyes narrowing. "If someone sends an assassin after me, they usually send one that can at least sneak around."

The shadow tries to get up, making a low and threatening voice behind me say, "Stay down."

My eyes scan over the man, trying to ignore the tingle that went down my spine at the voice before I sigh, "You are one of Ra's al Ghul's men." When he doesn't move I relax a little, "Aren't you?"

He doesn't say anything.

He probably can't because of his orders. Makes everything a lot less fun in my opinion.

He loves to stand, and suddenly there is an arrow cutting through the air, imbedding itself into the crate beside his head.

We both look back at Artemis, her eyes narrowed on him, another arrow already aimed at his chest, "One wrong move." She promises, "That was my only warning arrow."