«chapter twenty-eight: one of ours»

___________________

___________________

BROOKLYN'S POV

  "I'm sorry," Artemis starts as soon as I walk out of the zeta-tube. "I didn't want to call you in, but-"

  "But after I couldn't figure it out, we needed the Queen of the Shadows." Cheshire mocks, pretending to bow down to me.

  "Don't call me that," I roll my eyes, before I turn to Cass, who is very tense right now as she watches Cheshire. "It's okay, she won't hurt any of us." Cass relaxes slightly but is still on guard as she looks at me and then to the two doors. The interrogation rooms.

  I narrow my eyes and don't hesitate anymore, "Anything I need to know?"

  "Savage's daughter and some girl claiming to be traitors of the Shadows. Hard to believe for obvious reasons," She adds, because usually people that betray them end up dead. Usually. "But both say the other is lying."

  I nod and start walking, "Just don't tell Nightwing," I say lowly as I pass her, reminding myself to tell Cass the same before I walk up the stairs and into the first room.

  The girl straightens up in her seat when she realizes someone is coming in. When her eyes take me in, they widen. "Oh my... you are Nightshade! You are the Queen of the shadows; Brooklyn Travis!"

  I fight back a flinch at the names. So that's where Cheshire got the Queen of Shadows. This girl probably has been calling me that.

  "My name is Shadowcat. Don't call me anything else," I glare, crossing my arms as I lean back against the door.

  The girl closes her mouth quickly before she says, "I'm sorry-I didn't mean to be disrespectful or insult you," She explains, her eyes looking at me with interest, "You are just... You are the one that got away. Well, the first."

  I raise an eyebrow, "And I am sure you have been trained to deal with me if you follow Deathstroke's lead."

  She hesitates, "Well... yes. But I wouldn't," She promises, "You... Cheshire, you both gave me hope. Hope that I could get away and be better."

  I raise my eyebrow at this, "Sure. And who are you?"

  If my flat tone discouraged her, she doesn't show it. "I'm Onyx Adams. I am not sure if they told you, but I was raised by my maternal grandfather," She waits for a reaction from me, but I simply keep quiet, "And he was a hero. Will Everett, the Amazing Man." She continues.

"And?" I ask.

  "I was recruited into the Shadows at age 11 by Sensei." I keep any surprise at being hand picked by Sensei off of my face, prompting her to continue. "We are almost the same, actually," She says thoughtfully, "From what I heard from the others, you-"