«chapter forty-two: going after him»

___________________

___________________

BROOKLYN'S POV

The first thing I feel is my head pounding, before I slowly open my eyes.

I look around my room in confusion.

Why... why did I get in bed so early? Wha-

It's all comes crashing back. I nearly scream at the anger I feel.

I rip off the blanket placed over me and throw my door open, running down the stairs.

"I think she is awake," Wally mutters and I come to face him along with Jake, Barbara, Conner, M'gann and Artemis.

"What the hell?" I ask, nearly shouting, making them all flinch. I never raise my voice at anyone when I am angry. They haven't ever seen me this angry. "Did you know?"

"No," Barbara says quickly. "But, Brooke, you need to stay-"

"Hell no," I hiss, charging for the door.

"Brooke," Conner tries to grab my arm but I side step out of it.

"Don't make us do this, Brooke," Wally mutters stepping closer, all of them looking at me with worry.

I stand up straighter, realizing the real reason all of them are here. They are here to stop me from trying to follow him.

"Brooke," Artemis steps closer, pain in her voice, "We are all worried, we all want to go out, but you can't go out in the state you are in. And Dick wouldn't want-"

"What do you mean wouldn't want?" I cut her off, dread filling my stomach. "You have contact with him, right?"

No one answers. No one knows how to tell me they lost him. And I don't know how to respond to the silence so I turn and try for the door again.

Conner does grab me this time, and I manage to kick him back, turning on him, "Don't you dare hold me back."

"We just want to make sure you are safe," Jake sighs, "Don't make this more difficult. I promise we will find and save-"

"No," I hiss, looking at him, "You don't get to do this to me. He drugged me to sneak away, and you all lost contact with him hours ago. And instead of looking for him, you are with me?!" I shake my head.

"Batman and countless others are looking for him, that's not far-" Barbara cuts off as I glare at her.

"You can't keep me here. You can't expect me to not go out," I back up from them, anger in ever word. "They have Damian and Dick now."

"They almost killed you to send him a message. They would use you to break him, Brooke," Artemis pleas with me and part of me knows that is true. That's what the Shadows would do. That's what I would have done if I were one of them.