iv. the dart club

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

"RECKON WILL'S okay?" Lucas asked as the two boys sped along the road. It was November 1st, the day after Halloween, and the town was already beginning to take down their decorations to get ready for Christmas.

"He is. We'll see him today." Josh nodded confidently. "But he's been having a lot of episodes recently... or so Mike says."

"Mike knows him better than anybody." Lucas reminded Josh, making the boy glance over at him.

"Exactly. That's what worries me." sighed Josh, reminiscing on the first time he and Will had met. Mike had already come across Will, and they'd been friends before they had the courage to approach Josh, who was often quiet.

It was another "normal" day at school, although Josh felt anything but normal. Especially with Will's episodes. Lucas ran off to find Dustin and Mike while Josh wandered the halls on the way to class. Somebody ran up to him suddenly in a flash of yellow. Max.

"I think you're stalking me now," said Josh with a grin. "Thought you hated me?"

"You're not interesting enough to stalk. And I do, but the hatred is being put on pause." she replied. "I have a question, though."

"Shoot." Josh stared ahead, bringing his books to his chest.

"It's about Will. I still don't get why they call
him Zombie Boy. I mean, I get it, he got lost in the woods for like a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone though he was dead?"

"Yeah," Josh nodded, "I mean, we had a funeral for him and everything."

"After a week?"

Josh hesitated. "Well, see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed."

Max stopped, turning to face Josh. "What? Okay, that's not funny."

"It's not a joke!" Josh tilted his head. "It's public knowledge. You can ask anybody. Except Will, because he is really sensitive about it. Alright?"

Josh looked at him strangely before finally speaking. "Okay... still feel like you're lying to me."

"You need to get your trust checked." scoffed Josh, rolling his eyes. "Believe it or not, Mayfield, I'm not lying to you."

"Surprising. You give me pathological liar vibes." shrugged Max, approaching her locker and then waving him away. "Alright, leave me alone now. Stop being so obsessed with me."