xvii. 4th of july at starcourt

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

"THE MIND Flayer, it built this monster in Hawkins, to stop El, to kill her, and pave a way into our world." Mike explained to the group of adults who were sitting down in front of them. Hopper and Joyce clearly believed them, but were in shock— the Mind Flayer was real.

"And it almost did," continued Nancy, pacing back and forth in front of them, "that was just one tiny piece of it."

"How big is this thing?" asked Hopper. He had a cut on his eyebrow, and his big bushy brows furrowed together.

"It's big." replied Jonathan, measuring with his hands and mumbling under his breath before giving an exact estimate. "Thirty feet at least."

"Yeah." said Josh awkwardly, wincing at the chief. "Uh... it sorta destroyed your cabin."

Hopper sighed, letting his head drop down in defeat. El was slumped back against him. He'd covered her leg back up in bandages and was applying pressure to her bleeding head.

"Sorry..." muttered Lucas under his breath.

"Okay, so just to be clear," said Steve, looking around at the kids who had met with the mind flayer, "this... this big, fleshy spider-thing that hurt El, it's some kind of gigantic... weapon?"

"Yes." nodded Nancy, confirming the worst.

"But instead of, like, screws and metal, the Mind Flayer made its weapon... with melted people." Steve tilted his head downwards.

"Yes, exactly."

"Yeah, okay. I- yeah, just- I'm just making sure." Steve gave them a thumbs-up, forcing a toothless smile.

"Are we sure this thing is still out there, still alive?" inquired Joyce, who had been looking over at Hopper.

"El beat the shit out of it, but yeah, it's still alive." responded Max. She was standing beside Steve.

Will paced around. "But if we close the gate again-"

"We cut the brain off from the body..." continued Max.

"And kill it." finished Lucas.

"Theoretically." added in Josh, snapping his fingers at Lucas in the shape of a gun, winking at him.

"Yo!" yelled the bearded man (Murray Bauman), pacing towards them. He was waving papers around his head. He waved them over to one of the food court tables, slamming the papers down on it.

"Okay," he began, "this is what Alexei called 'the hub.' Now, the hub takes us to the vault room."

"Okay, where's the gate?" asked Hopper, looking down at the papers.

"Right here. I don't know the scale on this, but I think it's fairly close to the vault room, maybe... fifty feet or so."

"More like five hundred." corrected Erica with a scoff.