xii. will the wise

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

TWO PEOPLE had called Josh the next morning— Lucas and Dustin. Lucas had called first, asking Josh to come over to the Wheelers' because Mike had an emergency. He didn't give Josh the details on what exactly the emergency was, so Josh was more panicked about it than he should've been.

Dustin called a half an hour later, asking if Josh could come to the mall with him, to which Josh explained that Lucas had called and he had to go over to Mike's. Dustin assured him that it was okay.

Josh and Will both biked over to Mike's house, saying hello to his mom before heading down into his basement, where Mike was holding his head in his hands. Lucas was folded in the seat beside him.

"What the hell is going on?" asked Josh as he jumped off the last step, looking around at his two friends for an explanation.

"It's Hopper!" groaned Mike loudly. "He's a psycho!"

Mike began to delve into the entire issue as Josh took a seat in the couch and Will began setting up for D&D. Hopper had told Mike to give El some space— and Mike took the opportunity to lie about his grandma getting sick.

"She knows I'm lying!" he panted loudly, terrified. "She knows I'm lying."

"I don't even understand." Lucas shook his head, which Josh joined him in doing. "Why lie?"

"I told you!" Mike exclaimed. "Hopper. He threatened me."

"Did he say he'd kill you?" queried Josh, leaning back on the couch.

"What? No."

"So then what's the big deal?" Lucas spread his arms out in confusion, furrowing his brows together at Mike.

"The big deal is," Mike breathed out frantically, "if I don't do what he says, then he'll stop me from seeing El. Permanently. You don't understand, guys, he's crazy! He's lost his mind!"

"Hey, guys, I'm almost set up here." spoke up Will from the table, adjusting his D&D set. Josh would've been paying attention, but he'd been laughing so loudly at Mike that he didn't hear him.

"I had no choice, okay? I really had no choice."

"The way you handled this was terrible." winced Josh uncomfortably. "I mean, I've never had a girlfriend and I think I would've handled this better."

"You guys don't help me at all!" cried out Mike before falling into the couch, groaning loudly.

"I'm not gonna lie," breathed out Lucas uncomfortably, "it's gonna be bad."