extra. star

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

JOSH TRUSTED Max, something that he would've scoffed at just less than a year prior. He wanted to tell her a lot of things, whether or not she actually cared about them; it was a feeling he was not used to. His old outlet of the thoughts running around his mind was his mom. Since she'd died, he'd usually kept everything to himself.

One evening, another evening he spent with Max, much to Mike's displeasure ("We're supposed to go to the movies tonight!"), he took her down to one of the nearby fields. His mother had often taken him there when he was younger.

However, it wasn't just a date, and that made Josh's heart sink. He'd known for about three weeks that he and the Byers were moving to California. He didn't like it, and he felt sick just thinking about it.

"Didn't peg you for the overly-romantic type, Newby." teased Max, craning her neck upwards to look towards the sky.

"Oh, I know. They should put me in a romance movie." he remarked in response. He frowned when he saw Max's shirt. "Is that my shirt?"

"So what if it is?"

Josh hummed, avoiding her gaze as he swallowed thickly. Max stared at him expectantly, and he sighed out.

"Can I tell you something that you have to promise not to make fun of me for?" Josh raised a brow at Max, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Impossible." she said in return, before meeting his eyes and grinning slightly. "Okay, fine. I promise."

He stuck a hand out towards her, and she rolled her eyes before shaking his hand. It took a few seconds for them to pull away from each other, but when they did, Josh took a step back and raised his gaze up towards the sky.

"My mom used to be obsessed with the stars." he informed her honestly— it was true. "She was practically an amateur astronomer. She thought they were the most wonderful things in the world, the most beautiful things in the world. My dad proposed to her out in the middle of a field at night, just because he knew how much she loved the stars.

"When I was growing up, she'd take me out stargazing most nights. I know all the constellations because of her." Josh released a shaky breath, his eyes widening up at the bright stars above. "You see that one?" he pointed at the largest and brightest one— the one he looked for every night. Max hummed. "That's my mom. The bright one. It only started showing up after she died."

Josh glanced over his shoulder at the grass, his throat stinging as he thought of his parents. He shook his head as he felt Max's arm brush up against his, and he cleared his throat.

"And you see the one next to it?" he pointed at a different start. "The smaller, dimmer one. That's my dad. I know it's him. He... He was always really proud of my mom. He thought she was a genius, the most perfect person he'd ever met. He always wanted the spotlight on her. I'd like to say that hasn't changed."

Max stared up at him, her blue eyes widened in his direction. She moved a little closer, her shoulder brushing up against his. It seemed to be her way of comforting him, and others; she would give them physical affection. Usually Josh didn't care too much for it, but he liked it when it came from Max.

"I'm sorry, Josh." she whispered quietly. Josh didn't know what to say, so he hung his head and cleared his throat, feeling as if his dad's hand was clamped on his shoulder kindly once again.

jack

very very short and very late post tonight but i just wanted to get this out because i liked this idea!! i might edit it and add more in the future but i didn't want to leave you guys with nothing!!