xxiv. his return

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

THE COPS had decided to take the kids to the Wheeler's house, seeing as Mrs. Wheeler had made a complaint about Nancy being missing. Her nerves were at an all-time high, yet when she saw the kids, she didn't seem any more relieved. She looked especially confused when she saw Jayson Martin, of all people, watching over them.

"And what exactly were you all doing at the lake?" questioned Powell, who was sitting before them in an armchair. All five of the others were seated on a couch in front of them. Josh was on the arm of the chair, seated beside Max, while Jayson was on the other arm, seated beside Lucas. Max, Lucas, and Dustin were seated on the couch itself.

They all looked cluelessly at one another for a second before Dustin tried speaking. "Uh... it's-it's complicat-"

"We were... we were just going for a walk." interjected Max with a small shrug. Josh fought the urge to elbow her. The excuse was lackluster at best.

"A walk?" repeated Callahan in disbelief. He stood beside Powell, his arms crossed over his chest and a disbelieving look stretching across his face. "At 9:00 P.M.?"

"To the lake!" squeaked out Dustin, hugging the pillow he was holding closer to his chest. Callahan tilted his head.

"We we're gonna take a swim!" added in Jayson with a similar high-pitched voice.

"A little night swim." finished Dustin, looking away from Callahan.

"Dusty!" scolded Mrs. Henderson severely, her eyes red as she held a handkerchief up to her face. "Someone was just murdered there!"

"Yeah," nodded Dustin, smiling at her, "uh... we... we didn't realize that until we got there."

"Haven't been watching the news..." Josh added, shaking his head. "Kind of clueless about the whole situation, honestly."

"That's why we didn't swim!" Lucas finished hopefully. "Because of the... the murder." His parents looked disapprovingly at him.

"And Nancy," Mrs. Wheeler leaned forward, "was she with you at this night swim?"

"No," said Max.

"She was," nodded Jayson, glancing over at Max with wide eyes, coughing to hide the fact that his voice was far higher-pitched than it should have been. "But then she left, so... no?"

"We're not sure." Lucas shook his head.

"It's all a little confusing." whispered Dustin, squinting at the officers before them.