extra. first date

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

"HEY," SAID Josh, coming up next to Max in Mike's driveway. They'd arrived at his house at the same time (luckily for Josh, who wanted desperately to talk to Max), and Max had paused when she'd seen him.

It was the end of summer, and a month and a half had passed since Josh and Max had kissed. They'd done nothing to make it official, although Josh waited (somewhat impatiently) for her to say something to him.

"Hi," Max greeted in response, throwing her bike down on the grass. "What's up?"

"I have a question," he told her truthfully, "and I want to know if you're gonna get mad at me for it."

"I'm always mad at you for something, Newby." she teased, and their hands brushed up against one another before she shoved him away.

It had been like that a lot— the electrifying (or at least to Josh) contact that didn't seem to last overly long, but still meant a million things, and not one was ever brought up. Often times, when their hands would brush past one another, Josh just wanted to put his hand in hers and ignore her complaints.

"What are we?" he asked her, and she stopped abruptly in the middle of the driveway. Her blue eyes raked over him, as if she were trying to figure out if he was joking or not. "I don't care, by the way."

"Yes, you do." Max rolled her eyes. "You're obsessed with me."

Josh hummed, crossing his arms over his chest as he stared expectantly at Max. She sighed, relenting as she thought with immense pressure weighing on her shoulders.

She'd felt bad about Billy's death. She'd been distant with practically everyone but El, who wouldn't leave her alone no matter what. Josh had tried to contact her a few times, but each and every time she pushed him away, and eventually, he gave up trying. She wished he hadn't— a very secretive thought that lingered only at the back of her clouded mind.

But, considering she wanted him to care, she wanted him to care all the time. She wanted to know that she was the only girl he had his sights set on, and even though it definitely seemed that way, whenever they were out in public and any girls their age passed by, Max unknowingly clenched her jaw. Josh had noticed every time, for even though Max was positive he was staring at the other girls, his eyes were always on her.

"I like you." Max told him, grimacing. "It's so stupid... I hate saying that. Actually, correction; I hate you."

"No, don't backpedal." Josh teased, raising his brows. "You're madly in love with me. It's almost obsessive how crazy you are over me."

"Shut up, Newby." snapped Max, rolling her eyes. "I can't stand you."

"Say it again."

Max furrowed her brows at Josh, shaking her head cluelessly. "Say what again?"