xxi. a letter to hell

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

"OKAY, BE honest. Uh... You guys understand any of this?" Steve was staring down at the copy of Weekly Watcher that was in his hands. Each boy was given one. Josh hadn't even so much as glanced down at his copy; his eyes were resting on Max. She was sitting across the room at a desk, scribbling down on pieces of paper.

Colby shook his head. "Not much of it."

"No." Lucas shook his head. He glanced over at Josh before putting a hand on his shoulder. Josh blinked, turning towards him and giving him a forced smile. He appreciated Lucas.

Truly, Lucas was his best friend. Lucas and Dustin were his best friends. They saw him freaking out over Max's revelation and tried to console him to the best of their ability. Would Mike have done that?

"Pretty straightforward." shrugged Dustin casually.

"Oh, straightforward, really?" Steve narrowed his eyes at Dustin, putting his hands on his hips and crumpling the paper in the process.

"What's confusing to you?" Dustin leaned forward, putting his hands on his knees. "So far, everyone Vecna has cursed has died, except for this old Victor Creel dude Nancy found. He's the only known survivor. If anyone knows how to beat this curse, it's him."

"That's assuming he was cursed, which we don't even know." Colby mumbled, looking down at the paper. "How can Vecna have existed in the '50s? It doesn't make sense. I thought El created the Upside Down?"

"Far as we know, Eleven didn't create the Upside Down." corrected Dustin, and Colby opened his mouth, as if to silently say that he was coming to a realization. Josh furrowed his brows at Dustin. "She opened a gate to it. The Upside Down has probably been around for thousands of years. Millions. I wouldn't be surprised if it predated the dinosaurs."

"Dinosaurs?" echoed Steve, rubbing his head. "What are we..."

"Okay." Lucas waved a hand at them. "But if a gate didn't exist in the '50s, how did Vecna get through?

"How's he getting through now?" added Colby, scanning his eyes across the paper again.

"And why now?"

"And why then?" Steve pointed at Lucas and Colby. "Just pops out in the '50s, kills one family, and he's like, 'I'm good.' And bam, he just disappears. Just... gone?" Steve waved his hand away from him. "Only to return 30 years later and start killing random teens? No, I don't buy it." he sighed, scoffing. "Straightforward, my ass. Honestly, Henderson, a little humility now and then, it wouldn't hurt you."