xx. hawkinsgate

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

JOSH TRAILED after his friends back into the boathouse with bags full of food for Eddie. He looked startled when they arrived, as he was hidden by the window, his eyes wide and scared as he looked at them.

"Delivery service." beamed Dustin, and they all held up their bags of food cheerfully, peeking into the boathouse.

Eddie took the bags from the group, choosing to sit in one of the canoes. Dustin stood in front of him. "So we got, uh, some good news and some bad news. How do you prefer it?"

Eddie stopped shoving the Cheerios into his mouth. "Bad news first, always."

"Alright. Bad news." sighed Dustin, looking around. "We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you. Also, they're, uh, pretty convinced you killed Chrissy."

"Like, 100% kind of convinced." added Max from beside Josh. He wanted to warn her, but he decided not to. He didn't want to mess it up with her again, especially considering she'd decided to sit beside him.

"And the good news?" Eddie looked around hopefully. The bad news seemed to be worse than he expected.

"Your name hasn't gone public yet." Robin answered, leaning up against a shelf. "But if we found out about you, it's a matter of time before others do. And once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you."

"Hunt the freak, right?" scoffed Eddie uneasily, shoving more cereal into his mouth.

"Exactly." confirmed Colby, glancing down at his hands.

Eddie looked down, "Shit."

"So, before that happens," Dustin was kneeling in front of him, speaking calmly, "we find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence."

"That's all, Dustin? That's all?" mocked Eddie, who was very on edge. Although, Josh had to agree with him. Finding Vecna was a lot easier said than done. They didn't even know what he was or where he was. Or what he was capable of.

"Yeah, no, that's pretty much it." squeaked out Dustin, fighting back against Eddie's sarcasm.

"Listen, Eddie," said Cassie consolingly, "I know everything Dustin is saying sounds totally delusional, but we've actually been through this before."

"They have," Robin added quickly, pointing to everyone else, "they have a... a few times, and... and I have once. Mine was more human-flesh-based, theirs was more smoke-related, but bottom line is, collectively, I really feel we got this."