v. the loss of max mayfield

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

WHEN JOSH got to school the next morning, he chained his bike on the rack, just like he did everyday. Then suddenly, someone grabbed his arm and tugged him to the back of the school. They only stopped when they reached the large garbage bin behind the school. Mike was the one to practically kidnap Josh, and Max was already there. Lucas followed closely behind them.

"Okay, Lucas, you're jumping in there." said Mike, pointing the garbage bin.

Lucas glared at him. "No, I'm not."

Mike sighed, shaking his head in aggravation. "Fine. We'll pull straws."

And that's what they did. Fortunately for Josh, Mike, and Max, Lucas was the one to pull the short straw.

"Damnit!" he groaned, glancing at the garbage bin angrily.

"Sorry, buddy." Josh patted him on the shoulder. "Now get in there."

"I don't even understand why I have to do this." snarled Lucas under his breath.

"Because we're looking for Dart!" explained Mike impatiently. "So stop being a baby and do it already!"

Lucas sighed before jumping into the bin, searching around for the small creature. If he could manage to find him, it probably wouldn't be based on sight, but instead sound. Dart often made growling or shrieking sounds when confronted.

"Remember, he might've grown since we've seen him last." said Josh, catching a large stick that Mike tossed him, looking at it strangely.

"This is so disgusting." said Max in disgust. "Is this really necessary?"

At that moment, Dustin came around the corner, looking at them with a puzzled expression. "What the hell's going on?"

"What do you think?" Mike replied, narrowing his eyes at Dustin. "We're looking for Dart."

Lucas began throwing trash bags out of the bin before he jumped out himself. He put his hands on his hips, staring at Dustin before taking a deep, exasperated breath.

"Jesus!" Dustin swatted the air as a trash bag nearly landed on him.

"Well, well, well." said Lucas, his hands still on his hips. "Look who finally decided to show up! After I drew the short straw. Real convenient."

Max moved away from Lucas wordlessly, gagging. Lucas looked at her strangely, raising a brow at Josh, who was standing beside Dustin, as she moved over to Dustin, who beamed. "Hi, Max!"

Max looked at him strangely. "Hi?"

"Where's Will?" inquired Dustin.

"He'll be here." responded Mike confidently.

"Are you just gonna stand there?" snapped Lucas, tossing Dustin his stick. "Or are you gonna help?"

They began prodding at the trash bag while Lucas watched, leaning up against the bin. The bell rang a few minutes later, ending their search as they ran off to Mr. Clarke's classroom. He didn't wait to start his lesson.