1. Unique

Lillian:

"So where are we going again?" I ask as I secure the seatbelt on in Alice's car. I hope she is a careful driver.

"There's this diner a few blocks away from campus. Everyone goes there because the food is awesome. We're meeting my boyfriend there with some of his teammates." Alice states as she checks her lipstick in the mirror before starting the car. "I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all." I shake my head frantically, trying to show her that I'm ready for this. Meeting new people, making new friends, and new memories are exactly the reasons why I worked hard in high school to get this scholarship. "I just hope I'm not underdressed."

My hands fiddle with the hem of my dress with a small frown between my eyebrows. I don't own a lot of things, and this dress is actually one of my best. It is also in my favorite color, lilac. Yet sitting next to this drop-dead gorgeous girl, I feel stupid.

"You look beautiful, girl. Most of the football team is gonna drool over you, let me warn you." She states firmly, and I blush with a giggle. I almost forgot what it feels like to hear a compliment.

"What's your boyfriend's name?" I ask, my fingers nervously playing with each other.

"Dave. We've been together for two years now." Alice says with a proud grin, her eyes focused on the road, but I can hear the love she has for him in her voice. I wonder what it feels like to be in love.

"You're not a freshman?" I ask as I do the math in my head.

"Sophmore. We went to high school together, actually, and fell in love senior year, then decided to come here together." She reminisces, and my heart feels happy for her.

"I hope you always remain happily in love with each other." And I mean that with everything in me because Alice deserves that kind of happiness.

******

After Alice parks the car, I carefully follow her into the diner called 'Maggie's'. I scan the area inside to find it just like a normal cozy diner, with a lot of tables and booths occupied with loud young people. "This place is crowded."

"Told you. Literally everyone comes here, from our school and a couple of other schools nearby. Be careful, though. Not everyone is friendly here." Alice warns quitely in my ear as she links her arm through mine. "There they are!"

She lets go of me, runs the rest of the way and jumps on the back of a large man who I presume is Dave. The few guys around them chuckle as they take their seats, and when Alice is back on her feet, Dave turns around and gives a kiss that has me automatically blushing and looking at my worn-out sandals.

"Keep it PG, guys!" One of their friends say. "You're making Ali's little friend uncomfortable."

My eyes travel to his at that comment, and I frown because he called me little. I am little, especially when compared to everyone in the vicinity right now, but that still sounded rude.

"Guys, this is my roommate, Anne." Alice's voice is proud, and I instantly grin. "Anne, this is Dave, my man."

"Hey, how do you do?" Dave stretches a big palm my way, and I place mine in his.

Giving him a firm shake, I smile. "It's very nice to meet you. You look like a good man, so please be as good to Ali."

Dave's head falls back, and he lets out a whole hearted laugh, dropping my hand in the process. Everyone joins in as they chuckle at me, and I blink nervously. Looking at Alice with a frown, I ask, "Did I say something weird? I'm not used to talking to people much."