36. A Horrible Story

Sorry for the wait, but I had to make sure this was good enough.

Which meaaans, I need you to honestly tell me what you think.

I've invested so much time, so much effort, and so many emotions into this book.

I've invested so much of me into this book.

Lily and Colton's story is so close to my heart that I can't even begin to explain it. I'm so happy about the progress it has made and of the feedback I've been getting.

Please don't stop leaving me comments and letting me know what you truly think and how (if) you like it.

Oh, and don't forget that I did warn you that I'm full of surprises, so... enjoy!

*****

Lily:

Alex walks into the room with a bottle of water in his hands before throwing it on the bed. I don't move.

"Are you hungry? I'm an awesome cook." His grin is perfectly intact, and I feel sick to see someone this enthusiastic about kidnapping a person.

"What am I doing here, Alexander?" I ask. "Why are you doing this?"

His eyes fix on mine, his gaze pinning me where I am, but I don't look away, I don't cower.

"Sit down." He motions to the bed, breaking eye contact as he moves to the chair on the other side of the room. Grabbing a hold of it, he drags it across the floor and rests it across from the bed. "I'll tell you a story."

Silently, I debate whether to play along or not.

He's a psychopath and dangerous, that much is clear, and even though I'm ready to fight, I'm also aware that I shouldn't anger him before I have a plan.

Colton must have gotten home. He must have known by now that I've been taken. He's looking for me, and he will find me, I have no doubt. I need to buy him enough time, and myself, because the second an opportunity arises, I will find a way out of here.

So I carefully take a step after the other, my eyes never leaving Alex's figure before I take a seat on the bed. I keep my legs firmly on the floor just in case I need to run.

Rubbing his hands together, Alex relaxes in his seat and begins. "This story is about a boy who used to love the most beautiful girl in school."

The first note Alex has left me quickly shoves its way to the front of my brain, but I keep my face calm, my breathing steady as I let him go on.

"The girl used to love him too, but a little differently. She called him one of her best friends. But he had hope that he could change her mind if she gave him a chance, that she could learn to love him in a way designed just for him." He smiles sadly. "Right when the boy was about to ask her to be his, though, his brother beat him to it and asked her instead."

I frown but remain silent, watching his fingers fiddle with the hem of his shirt.

"The boy was heartbroken, but he couldn't blame his brother because, after all, he has never mentioned his love for Anne before. His brother didn't know that they were both just as equally smitten with her. And he thought, what the hell, right?" He shrugs. "It didn't matter if he was hurting whenever he saw them together. It didn't matter that he couldn't stop his heart from breaking when Anne smiled at his brother brighter than she did him. At least they were happy, and they deserved to be happy. So he convinced himself that he'll be able to live as long as the two most important people in his life have smiles on their faces."