13. Secrets

Lily:

"I quit my job." I announce out of the blue, still on Colton's lap. The hand he has fiddling with a strand of my hair stops.

"What happened?" He asks, his eyes looking an answer in mine.

I shrug in his arms. "I decided it wasn't worth it. I also kinda had a fight with Luke."

I pout, because I'm really sad and angry about that. It was so unexpected of Luke to say what he has said to me that I still don't know what came over him. The way he looked at me with fury and disgust unsettled me.

"What did he do?" Venom is dripping from Colton's voice as he asks.

I place my palms on both his cheeks and caress his jaw gently. "He said something mean. But I handled it fine, so don't worry. I need to look for another job though."

"Work with me." He decides and my eyes widen.

"I can't even hold a pencil right. You want me to give people permanent tattoos? They'll put us in jail." I shudder.

Colton chuckles loudly at that, his muscles vibrating beneath me. "You can be my receptionist, you dork."

"Receptionist?" I raise my eyebrows. I've never worked as a receptionist before, but how hard could it be?

"Yeah." He goes back to messing with my hair. "You'll handle the phone and make appointments and shit like that. And before you start arguing with me about the salary, I'll pay you the exact amount I paid the last receptionist I had."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Oh, let me guess. She magically quit this morning, didn't she?"

Colton rolls his eyes at me. "It's a he, and he has been bugging me for months to let him start tattooing. So I will."

I beam at him when I hear that. "You can be incredibly sweet when you want to, you know that?"

His grey eyes shine with pride for a moment. "I'm trying to be sweet. To you."

"You're doing phenomenally." I grin.

Suddenly, a harsh, loud knock echoes through the room and it has me flinching and Colton tightening his hold on me. We both snap our heads to the door to see a black envelope slipping beneath it and into the room.

"What the fuck?" Colton mutters as he lifts me off him and drops me on the bed like a sack of potatoes. He rushes to the door and opens it before stepping outside. He looks to his left and right twice before looking back at me with a frown. Carefully, I pick up the black envelope.

Colton steps inside the room again, shutting the door behind him and looks at the paper I pull out of the envelope.

On the paper, a familiar beautiful handwriting reads, "I told you my secret, now tell me yours. But don't forget to notice the clues."

"It's exactly the same." The words leave me in a tight breath and Colton's frown deepens.

"What do you mean? Same as what?" He grabs the paper and flips is over. When he finds nothing on the back he does the same thing with the envelope.

"A few weeks ago Alice and I found this paper in her backpack that I had borrowed the day before. It wasn't mine and Alice said it wasn't hers either. It had a weird sentence on it. We dismissed it, thinking it was maybe lyrics to a song or maybe part of a bad poem or something and was just misplaced there. But it was written in this exact same handwriting." My frown matches his as I explain, my heart beating faster with every word.

"What the fuck does that mean?" Colton asks, his eyes falling again on the paper in his hand.

"It means we were wrong. It wasn't a random piece of useless paper like we believed. Someone put it there on purpose." I mumble, swallowing the chill that wants to run down my spine.