39. Forever Is You

Colton:

The boys and I are standing outside the building with a passed out Alexander, looking around to see if the building has any other entrance than the obvious front door, when I hear the loud bang of a gun shot.

I'm already moving, already racing my way and knocking down the front door, uncaring about the voices yelling my name from behind or trying to catch up with me.

My eyes find Lily, but she's lying on the floor with blood pouring out of her shoulder, and my heart breaks a hundred times over, but I don't let it.

I don't let it because I will not let my fear consume me. Lily is not going anywhere, she promised. I wasn't too late, I couldn't have been.

Luke is hunched over her body, his own hands shaking and bloody as he tries to do something I can't comprehend. He looks like he's trying to stop her bleeding with his frantic bare hands, but I don't care as I rush and tackle him to the floor, hard enough to hear a couple of bones cracking, and I enjoy the sound for just a second.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." He has tears falling down his face when I push his body across the room. "It was an accident, I swear."

If I take a moment to think, I might recognize how odd it is to have a kidnapper crying over his bleeding victim, but I just don't care. I don't care if he's crying; I don't care if it was an accident or not. I don't even care to look around for the gun or make sure that he has no more weapons. I don't care if he'll grab it and point it at my own chest when I crawl my way over to Lily. I don't even care if turning my back on him is stupid and dangerous.

All I care about is the only person in my life who matters.

"Lily, baby." I call her once, twice, a hundred times, as I gently push her hair away from her face. "Baby, open your eyes. Come on, Lily. You can do it."

Ripping my shirt off my body, I quickly push the fabric beneath her shoulder and wrap it around her wound, pressing the knot against the gushing blood. My hands are shaking, and I'm not breathing right, my chest too tight for air, but I don't let that stop me from trying because I have to do something, anything.

Wincing, Lily finally blinks her eyes open, and I feel my heart break again at the soft smile she gives me. "Darling. You found me."

Her voice is strained and exhausted, and it kills me to know that I could've somehow stopped her from feeling this much pain.

"You're gonna be okay, you hear me?" I tell her, caressing her cheek with a bloody palm. "You promised me, Lily. You can't leave me. I just fucking found you. This can't be the end of our forever. It can't be."

My head snaps to the side when I hear the boys rushing in, panting and looking around with wide eyes.

"No." Dave whispers when his eyes fall on Lily, and I'm ready to tell him that he has no reason to panic because she's gonna be fine, but he only groans before making his way over to a hysterical Luke, and he punches him in the face harder than I have.

Steve kneels down next to Lily beside me, checking her wound and the blood that keeps seeping through my shirt and onto the floor, before taking off his own shirt and repeating the same thing I did.

"It hurts." Lily's small voice breaks every bone in my body, and I realize that her pain is causing me an excruciating amount of agony.

"I know, baby." I hold her hand in my trembling one, kissing over her knuckles. "But you'll be fine. Help is coming. They'll fix this."

Luke's cries get louder with another punch that Dave delivers. I've never seen my best friend this angry before, and he doesn't stop his assault, not until Gabe wraps his arms around his torso and carries him off Luke completely.