16. Proud

Lily:

Humming to the radio in Colton's car, I munch happily on my turkey and cheese sandwich that Colton got for me this morning. He's the sweetest person I've ever known, and I feel unbelievably lucky to have him. Because I know he is not like that with everyone, and the effort he does to show me that makes me feel really good.

"Hey, Lily." Colton grabs my attention with his nervous tone and I quickly turn to him with wide eyes.

"Yes? Do you want a bite? Some more juice?" I'm already shoving both in his face when he gives me a quick glare that I grin at before pulling my breakfast back onto my lap.

"I have a game tonight." He announces with a frown that I soon match, because I don't understand why he sounds so anxious about a game. As far as word goes, Colton is amazing at football. He's the captain for a reason. I haven't watched him play yet, but I've heard enough people talking about him in school to believe that he's more than good. We're also friends with half of the football team, and sometimes when we all get together for lunch, everyone around the table talks about practice and games, and almost every time someone mentions how terrific Colton is.

"You'll do great!" I beam at him, trying to shove some of my enthusiastic and trust to him.

His frown softens a bit but he still looks nervous. "I want you to come."

My heart jumps in my chest with joy that this wonderful man wants my support. It makes me beyond happy to know that I matter to him so much, that my presence is appreciated and for some reason needed. I've spent years feeling like an unwanted and unwelcomed burden to Mama. To the whole town, really. But here my friends love and care for me, and Colton just keeps proving that to me without failure. "I would love to! I'm not sure if Ali plans to go as well, because she hasn't mentioned anything, but I'll be there, cheering you on like there's no tomorrow!"

Colton turns to me and grins, his dimples melting my heart in the process before he turns back to the road. He takes my hand off my lap, pulls it to his lips and drops a kiss on the center of my palm. "Thank you, baby."

Swallowing, I try to stop my heart from breaking through my ribcage and jumping to him. "You're welcome."

He keeps my hand in his, his thumb caressing my skin softly. "I want you to wear my jersey. Will you?"

My eyes widen again and I don't know why I blush. The idea of wearing his jersey, sporting his name, in front of a hundred students makes my stomach tingle with butterflies. It seems so intimate, so important, and I can't help but giggle stupidly. "Proudly!"

Colton looks happy when he parks the car in front of the building I have my first lecture in, and I don't comment on the fact that he knows my schedule so well. He grabs his sports bag from the backseat before he opens it and pulls out his jersey. As promised, he hands it to me and I fight the urge to sniff it like a freak. Instead, I grin at him and shove it in my bag, securing it inside.

Colton helps me out of the car as usual, but today he doesn't remove his hands from around my waist even after he's shut my door. Instead, he stares at me with warm eyes and a soft smile. "Why are you so goddamn beautiful?"

Blushing again, I glance at my outfit. I'm sure I've worn this blue dress at least three times since I've come here, with my old sandals and nude backpack. I have my hair down like how Colton likes it, and I tuck a strand behind my ear shyly. "Thank you."

"Give me a damn hug because I won't see you until after the game and that's too fucking long." He demands and I laugh at his grumpy attitude.

Stepping on my toes, I wrap my arms around his neck and he immediately lifts me off the floor as he hugs me back. I bit my lip to stop myself from grinning too widely when he shoves his face in my neck and takes a couple of deep breaths. "I'll miss you too, Colton."