The World That Never Was: Part 2

While the group were running the stairs up of the exit from the Proof of Existence, towards the top of the castle, to face the Organization XIII's leader, Xemnas, Ansem the Wise and Mickey watched as Ansem's machine continued to shoot its laser at Kingdom Hearts. Suddenly, the laster started to glow brighter and fritz a bit, and the machine started to shake violently in Ansem's grip.

Mickey: *confused* Ansem?

Ansem: *starts to laugh* I'm a fool. I've spend years studying the workings of the heart. Yet it seems I still haven't learned a thing!

Mickey: What d'ya mean?

Ansem: The process of encoding hearts is incalculable. The inhabitants of my Twilight Town were data created from real hearts. I was convinced that they would think and behave the way I had envisioned- but I couldn't have been more wrong. A heart is so much more than any system. *turns to Mickey* I saw it when Roxas and Kairi crossed paths. I knew. But I was too stubborn to accept it. It's always the same. I try to wrap my mind around things my heart already knows, only to fail. While I was trying to bring Sora back, I had so many plans in store. But once Sora was an acting force, they fell apart. All my research amounted to nothing, compared with that one boy's heart.

Suddenly, the machine started to spark wildly.

Mickey: Ansem! The machine!

Ansem: All the more proof that hearts cannot be contained by data. Run, my friend! It's going to self-destruct, and anything could happen!

Mickey: *worried* But...

Sora: Your Majesty!

When hearing Sora's voice, Mickey turned to see him and the others run up to meet the two of them.

Ansem: *looks at Sora* Sora, the rest is up to you... And Roxas- I doubt you can hear me- but... I am sorry.

Mickey: Ansem!

Ansem: My heart is telling me what I must do. Please allow me to do what it says!

Mickey: No! *takes a step forward, but Riku stops him* *turns to him* Riku!

Riku: His hearts decided. We can't change that.

Ignis: Respect his wish.

Ansem: Keyblade master. One of three you're searching for is in the Realm of Darkness

Ignis: *gasps* What?

Just then, a corridor of darkness opened up a few meters away from the group's position, and out came Xemnas.

Xemnas: I was wondering who would dare interfere with my Kingdom Hearts. *sees Ansem and the others* And look- here you all are. How convenient for me. *everyone glares at him, ready to fight* *looks at Ansem* Ansem the Wise... You look pathetic.

Ansem: Have your laugh. I deserve as much for failing to see you for the fool you are.

Xemnas: Students do take after their teachers. Only a fool would be your apprentice. After all, none of this would have happened without you. YOU are the source of all Heartless. It was your research that inspired me to go further than you ever dared.

Ansem: I admit...my disregard brought chaos to more worlds than one. But what were YOU seeking? You erased me from the world, only to take my name and continue research better left forgotten... I this the answer you've been looking for?

Xemnas: All that and more. I'm carrying on what you yourself began, and I'm creating a brand new world, one heart at a time. I thought you'd praise me, but all you ever do is hold me back. Even more when I wanted to research the heart of the goddess. I understand, though. Unlike me, you have a heart. And you're powerless to control it. Consumed, by the jealousy you feel toward the student who surpassed you.