TWENTY-THREE

"hi

"hi." juniper stood in front of the seated boy in a mask, his familiar almond eyes pinching at the corners as he heard her voice.

jumping up from the chair, donghyung pulled the mask down to reveal his face, and the girl's jaw dropped. he looked exactly like how she remembered him... and surprisingly more like haechan than she originally thought.

"wow," she breathed, unconsciously going to touch his cheekbone before pulling her hand back to her side. "you seriously look like your brother."

donghyung let out a short, bashful laugh. "it's almost like we're twins." the hint of sarcasm in his voice made juniper chuckle. she'd always had a feeling he'd grow up witty. sweet, but witty.

"so," she breathed as she pulled the chair from beneath the table and sat. "ho-how have you been?"

the boy smiled earnestly as june's voice shrunk with each word, and he could tell by the way she was staring at her lap that she was pulling at the sleeves of her hoodie. old habits... he figured.

with a soft smile, donghyung placed his hand on the table. when the girl only continued to look, he rolled his eyes and gave it a little shake. "here."

movement slow with confusion, juniper dropped her hand into his and felt her face warm up when he trapped her hands between his.

"there," he smiled, "now i have your attention."

juniper blushed at the sudden drop in his voice and bit back a giggle. "jesus, who knew you'd be so flirty. not happening, by the way."

donghyung started making throwing-up noises, "ew, no. you're my oldest friend, that's gross."

"well, now i'm just offended."

"hey, at least i didn't say you're ugly!"

"so you think i'm ugly?!"

the two continued teasing each other and laughing through the night as they caught up for over a decade of missed memories.

juniperoh my god

juniper
oh my god

juniper
he's literally the same