SIXTY-ONE (eric ending)

she'd been so sure, so confident, but now juniper didn't know where to start

she'd been so sure, so confident, but now juniper didn't know where to start. she had her phone in her hands, sitting cross-legged on her bed, staring at the message on her screen.

if any part of you thinks there'll ever be a chance of something real between us, i need you to tell me

there was. june knew there was. their time together made her feel safe, and something about eric was just so comforting to her. her cheeks burned at her own thoughts.

juniper tightened her grip on her phone as she lifted it in front of her face, but before she could hit send, a loud and rather sudden clap of thunder shook the entire dormitory.

she wasn't usually afraid of storms, but she'd also never been alone in one. her eyes unconsciously fell on nova's empty bed as unease stirred in her stomach. she didn't want to be alone.

no. you are a strong, independent woman! you don't need someone to hold your hand through a storm. you've got this. we've got th—

a clap of thunder shook the dorm as bright white light filled the room, and juniper was on her shaking feet instantly.

you can be a strong, independent woman tomorrow.

juniper tugged her slippers on and pulled the jelly eye masks off from beneath her eyes. she wandered around aimlessly in the dark, stumbling around to find the doorknob. it took longer than expected due to the mess she'd left on the floor, and panic began to seize her chest.

she forced a breath, squeezing her eyes when it came out shaky. i can't do this. i can't.

when her palm grazed the knob, june frantically began pulling at the door, remembering to unlock it with shaky fingers, and nearly ripped the door off its hinges when she got it.

standing in the doorway with his fist hovered, was eric.

juniper scanned his face in the dark, a flash of light from outside lighting him up. his concern was visible, and june watched as his hand moved closer to her without actually touching her skin.

"i've been knocking. are you okay?"

june could only stare for a few moments before trying to collect herself as she stumbled out, "h-how did... i don't... why are you..?"

"you said you hate being alone during storms. i don't remember when, and i don't know if that's still even true, but you're alone, and i wanted to make sure that you are okay—"

juniper felt such relief that she fell into his chest, letting her arms wrap themselves weakly around eric's waist as he quickly encased her in his grasp.

"hey," he said softly over the rain pelting her window, "i've got you. i'm here, i've got you."

her breathing calmed naturally, and her ribs stopped aching. even then, eric didn't stop holding her, didn't stop running his hands through her hair. with her eyes still shut, june nuzzled her head further against his chest and smiled. "thank you."