22

I know it's not wise to fall asleep because I may not wake up again, but I can't help myself. I need an escape from this coldness.

The Seer appears in my dreams again. I know she's behind this. I don't understand her attachment to me, but I want it to end.

"Seer," I call for her and shiver. Even in my dreams, I'm cold. "Why are you doing this? Have I disrespected you?"

"No, child." She intertwines her bony fingers. "There is a rift. There is too much unbalance amongst the greats. The Fates do not like it, so I must intervene."

I frown. "What rift? And what does this have to do with me?"

"You and the two Rider Kings that are chasing after you are distracted. This must stop. You, Venus, are wasting time with your assumptions. Enough is enough. I will show you what is in the heart of Dramon Zarith, wether it is dark or light."

"I already know," I shake my head. "I can't be with him."

"You do not know. I need you to decide quickly, so I will force the truth out of Dramon to get you there."

How? How could she possibly do that?

Before I can ask, I'm pulled back to consciousness by the claws of the bitter cold. It's dark. I'm alone and so very, very cold.

I open my lips and call one name, "Tr-Treysa."

There's not much warmth that my scaly friend can give me, but I need something.

Dramon's face appears in my mind. That rugged, sculptured, red-eyed, grey skin and short dark green hair. His skin looks like silver when wet, but I know there's nothing cold about it. I've laid against his chest enough times to know. I've kissed those lips, hugged that cock, been in those arms that were designed to destroy and please.

My memories are so livid that they warm me. It's like a tease. I want more. I need Dramon to—

No!

I'd rather freeze to death than give him a taste of victory. He wants my body, and I'm so bitter and stubborn that I'll deny him.

He thinks I'm beautiful. That's all I am to him. The exotic creature that came from the stars.

I keep whispering Treysa's name, hoping that she can hear me by some miracle. The snow falls outside and there's barely any movement. I only hear Dramon talking with another male. He's rushing left and right to tie town tents, cover the beasts, and patrolling. Everyone else takes cover, rendered useless under the storm.

Every time I hear him pass my tent, I nearly cry out. The medicine to my pain is right there, but I can't have it.

I lay under my useless blankets with an aching knee. I refuse to cave in and call for Dramon. I've survived the lava-hot pain of a shattered leg, and I can survive this.

A scream wakes me. I try to open my eyes, but even my lids seem to be frozen in place.

"A corpse!" a woman yells. Other than me, she's the only other female in the camp.

I want to ask her to be silent, but my lips are frozen. I manage to open my eyes in time to see the tent jerk from how hard the entrance flap is pulled apart.

"Fires," Dramon snarls as he drops beside my bed. "What have you done, Venus?!"

He's so angry at me that I'm sure he's hot to the touch. My temptation to touch him burns greater than his fury.

"Get wood," he barks to the woman. "Now!"

I watched with hooded eyes as wood is brought in. Dramon uses his scarred, scratched, bruised hands to spark a fire. Whenever a flame appears, it goes out, although there's no wind. This is the Seer's work.