36

Like if you enjoy ❤️

"You are... you are my illegitimate son. Now that the princesses are gone, you are my heir. I need you to take over. I have no strength to fix what has become of Xelor."

The axe clanks when it hits the ground.

It feels like a Vanishing all over again. Hot, white rage blinds me. I am a man now. I've surpassed my adolescent disdain for my drugging, whoring mother long ago. I've forgiven her life choices, but Centres is bringing it all back.

He's reminding me of being left alone for days as a child, of not celebrating holidays because my mother was high off her mind, of being given a toy and finding out it was sold so she could meet her latest fix.

I spent so much time away from home, playing with other lost little boys. There was no one to clean my cuts and scrapes. My father didn't exist, and my mother was there physically but mentally on another dimension.

Rider Kings usually have a disturbing background. I'm the bastard that felt so much angst over not having a parental figure in his life that I became one myself— a father of a clan.

I was starving, filthy, and sick for most of my childhood. Knowing that my biological father was literally living as a king while I barely scraped by sets my blood on fire.

I want to kill him; this old man with eyes that look like mine.

That's where our similarities end. Centres is softer and paler than me from living behind walls all his life. I will never become him. I will never abandon the wilderness, or my family.

My feet are heavy as I deny myself murder and walk away.

"I loved her! Your mother!" Centres scurries behind me.

"Be quiet!" I snap as I keep walking. "You are nothing to me."

"The nobles wouldn't let me be with her because she was of low birth. You must understand, Dramon."

I turn so fast I slam into him, and the older man stumbles back.

"You should have chosen her instead of your luxuries! Look at you now. Your world crumbled, and you are alone. No sons, no kingdom. Burn you."

He takes my arm and covers my ring. Outraged by the disrespect, I shove him away from me. Only Venus can touch my ring. She's my wife and fellow warrior.

Centres falls this time, but that doesn't stop him.

"I've made mistakes, but please, Dramon. Venus would not want you to abandon the rest of Xelor. I'm too old to carry on."

I expand my arms. "I don't belong behind walls. I am not a tamed nobleman who enjoys drugging and sleeping their life away. No. Find yourself another bastard son to be your puppet."

"You will not find her without the resources of a King."

"I am a King," I roar. "More than you ever have been."

"All my men will become yours. You will find her faster this way."

I can't bear to listen to him anymore. My axe is looking more tempting every second.

"I want to find her, too. She was like a daughter to me. That is why I insisted on your marriage. She was a good female. You two were going to change the world."

"Do not speak of her in past tense!" I stomp so hard the ground cracks.

"Forgive me," Centres blurts. "For everything. Just think about this, please. Venus and Xelor need you."