Twenty-Two

It was always a strange feeling as the entity revived you. You always arrived back at camp with little to no injuries—a few scrapes and bruises but nothing that signalled that you had just experienced a brutal death. The only thing left behind was the haunting images of being chased down, hooked, stabbed, choked of your oxygen and more. It was an image that not many of the survivors could push to the back of their minds. 

The strangled choking sound you made signalled to your survivor friends that you had woken up. You pushed yourself to your feet, looking around at your surrounding before realising that you were back at the medic tent that Claudette ran from time to time. 

"Myers did a number on you, I was beginning to wonder if the entity was going to allow you to come back to us. You were out for a few hours." Claudette spoke in a soft voice as she appeared in your line of view. "Are you okay?" 

You blinked and nodded with a small smile, your hands finding their way to your neck. Claudette hummed as she looked you over. "You have a few bruises that the entity didn't do the courtesy of getting rid of, Probably as a reminder that we are under its control." She paused and pressed her soft hands to your neck, examining the bruised area. "Nothing to worry about." 

"Did Jake get out alright?" You croaked out, Your voice was hoarse and your throat was dry. Claudette moved away from your sight and returned a few moments later with a flask of water. You took the flask gratefully and began sipping small sips, enjoying the coolness of the water as it began to soothe your throat. 

"Yeah, He did. We met up at the furthest exit gate. He just managed to dodge around Myers and escape with me. I was getting worried when I couldn't see him. I assumed that maybe he had gone and found you to lead you over to the gate but I was wrong." 

"As long as he didn't manage to grab any of you and choke you out." You teased and handed her the flask back. "I hate that feeling. Although something weird happened." You slung your legs over the brittle camping bed and sat up straight and watched her as she organised the supplies. 

"What happened?" She inquired and stopped stuffing medical tape into a med kit. 

You nibbled on the bottom of your lip before choosing to respond. "I swear that he hesitated on killing me. I saw it. I know that we can only see his eyes through that disgusting mask of his but I saw it, Claude. I don't know what is happening but some of these killers seem to be turning somewhat decent...Well, that was until he snapped out of it and snapped my neck." 

Claudette snapped the med kit shut and placed it with a bunch of the other kits and gave you a puzzled look. "I don't know Y/n, I am not saying that I don't believe in what you are saying but are you sure that you weren't just hallucinating from the lack of oxygen?" 

"You don't need to believe me, Claude, I know what I saw. I thought that these killers were supposed to be brutal." You responded with a slight glare in her direction. 

She sighed and moved towards you and took your hand in her own. "The killers are under the control of the entity, It whispers to them and manipulates them to make them even worse than they would've been in their homelands. Maybe they sometimes break free and act confused?" 

"Is it true that if the killers go against the Entity that it punished them?" You questioned and pulled your hand away from hers. You watched as she nodded and moved back to her supplies. 

"I have heard about that. They have to do the Entity's bidding and have little control over what they do. I am not sure if it is completely true but if you are noticing changes in how they act then that could be a reason." She shrugged and focused back on her task. 

You remained in the tent for a few more minutes before deciding that you would head back to your cabin and try to get some rest just in case you were pulled into another trial. You bid goodbye to Claudette who seemed saddened that you left her alone in the tent but you didn't want to keep bothering her in pointless speculation if she wasn't going to try and believe in it.