Chapter 2: In The Burrow

"Ah, "said Fred.

"Oh, dear," said George.

"There's still time to take the car and run." I said looking back at its inviting doors.

Mum came to a halt in front of us, her hands on her hips, staring from one guilty face to the next. She was wearing a flowered apron with a wand sticking out of the pocket.

"So," she said.

"Morning, Mum," said George, in what he clearly thought was a jaunty, winning voice.

"Have you any idea how worried I've been?" said mum in a deadly whisper.

"Sorry, Mum, but see, we had to —"

All of us were taller than mum was, but we still cowered as her rage broke over us.

"Beds empty! No note! Car gone — could have crashed — out of my mind with worry — did you care? — never, as long as I've lived — you wait until your father gets home, we never had trouble like this from Bill or Charlie or Percy —"

"Perfect Percy," muttered Fred.

"YOU COULD DO WITH TAKING A LEAF OUT OF PERCY'S BOOK!" yelled mum, prodding a finger in Fred's chest. "You could have died, you could have been seen, you could have lost your father his job — and I assume this was your idea (Y/n)? To steal the car!"

I stood there opened mouthed how could she blame me for this.

"Oi don't give him credit for our idea!" Fred said jumping to my defense.

"Honestly you think he could come up with an idea this brilliant?" George said.

Mum looked taken aback for a second, as she seemed to falter. "Yes—well—you shouldn't have gone along with it!"

This had been happening ever since I got home. Everyone in my family had processed my sorting into Slytherin differently. Mum had taken to blaming me whenever someone did something bad.

When Fred and George bewitched Percy's parchment so that it would erase everything he wrote I got blamed for it. When Ron accidentally threw a gnome through the window guess who's fault that was?

Percy has taken to ignoring me completely, as if I wasn't even his brother anymore. He didn't talk to me if he could help it, and if he had to he'd use as few words as possible.

Ginny on the other hand seemed to be more scared of me now. She wouldn't say it out loud but I could tell. She would never stay in the same room as me for long, as if she thought she would catch my Slytherinness.

Dad mostly just pretended I was in Gryffindor. He'd always refer to me as a Gryffindor, I've even had to correct him a few times when he introduced me to coworkers.

Even Ron was acting a bit differently. Most of the time he was fine, but every now and then he'd look at me when he thought I couldn't see me. He'd give me this look as though he was trying to figure out what was wrong about me.

Fred and George on the other hand couldn't care in the least. Some days it felt like they were the only two who were in my corner. Sure they made jokes about it, but to be fair I made plenty of jokes about them.

Bill and Charlie didn't really care either but they were also hardly here to they didn't really count that much.

Mum seemed to shout at us for hours, to the point she had shouted herself hoarse before she turned on Harry, who backed away.

"I'm very pleased to see you, Harry, dear," she said. "Come in and have some breakfast."

She turned and walked back into the house and Harry, after a nervous glance at Ron and me, Ron who nodded encouragingly, and me who shook my head, followed her.