Chapter 8: Pixies and Quidditch

Lockhart reached forward, picked up Neville Longbottom's copy of Travels with Trolls, and held it up to show his own, winking portrait on the front.

"Me," he said, pointing at it and winking as well. "Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-time winner of
Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award but I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!"

"No I bet all you had to do was open your mouth and it ran away." I whispered loud enough for the people around me to hear, most of whom snickered, although Hermione and most of the other girls glared at me.

"I see you've all bought a complete set of my books — well done." Lockhart said practically beaming.

"Not that we had much of a choice. Just deepening your pockets." I said, again receiving a mixture of scowls and sniggers.

"I thought we'd start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about — just to check how well you've read them, how much you've taken in —" Lockhart continued, ignoring me.

"Oh great another way to inflate your already ginormous ego. It's wonder you managed to get into the castle." I muttered.

"Yes yes very funny very funny." Lockhart said sourly, before he passed out the test papers. Returning to the front of the class he said, "You have thirty minutes — start —now!"

I scowled down at the paper reading:
1. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color?
2. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?
3. What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date?

On and on it went, over three sides of paper, right down to:

54. When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his ideal gift be?

I rolled my eyes pulling out my wand and setting the paper on fire and throwing it onto the desk. Lockhart and the rest of the class stared at me open mouthed.

"I'm not going to waste my time on some pointless quiz." I said pulling out my Herbology homework. "I'd rather do something worthwhile."

"Well... I'm going to have to take say ten points from Slytherin?"Lockhart said sounding unsure.

"Is that a question?" I asked not looking up from my homework.

"Er no no it's not, ten points from Slytherin." He said with more confidence this time, I just shrugged.

Half an hour later I was putting the finishing touches on my essay. It wasn't the best thing I'd ever written but given I'd done it in only half an hour I'd say it was pretty good.

Lockhart collected the papers and rifled through them in front of the class.

"Tut, tut — hardly any of you remembered that my favorite color is lilac. I say so in Year with the Yeti. And a few of you need to read Wanderings with Werewolves more carefully — I clearly state in chapter twelve that my ideal birthday gift would be harmony between all magic and nonmagic peoples — though I wouldn't say no to a large bottle of Ogdeds Old Firewhisky!"

He gave them another roguish wink. Ron was now staring at Lockhart with an expression of disbelief on his face; Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas, who were sitting in front, were shaking with silent laughter. Hermione, on the other hand, was listening to Lockhart with rapt attention and gave a start when he mentioned her name.

"... but Miss Hermione Granger knew my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair-care potions — good girl! In fact" — he flipped her paper over — "full marks! Where is Miss Hermione Granger?"
Hermione raised a trembling hand.
"Excellent!" beamed Lockhart. "Quite excellent! Take ten points for Gryffindor! And so — to business —"