Chapter 3: Diagonally

Harry, Ron, and I woke up one morning, and like usual went down to breakfast to find Mum, Dad, and Ginny already sitting at the kitchen table.

The moment she saw Harry, Ginny accidentally knocked her porridge bowl to the floor with a loud clatter. Ginny seemed very prone to knocking things over whenever Harry entered a room. She dived under the table to retrieve the bowl and emerged with her face glowing like the setting sun.

"Letters from school," said Dad, passing Harry, Ron, and me identical envelopes of yellowish parchment, addressed in green ink as we took seats at the table. "Dumbledore already knows you're here, Harry — doesn't miss a trick, that man. You two've got them, too," he added, as Fred and George ambled in, still in their pajamas.

For a few minutes there was silence as we all read their letters. Mine told him to catch the Hogwarts Express as usual from King's Cross station on September first. There was also a list of the new books I'd need for the coming year.

SECOND-YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE:
The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

43 Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

I groaned loudly at this, looking over at Fred's letter to see if they were the same.

"You've been told to get all Lockhart's books, too!" Fred said. "The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher must be a fan — bet it's a witch."

At this point, Fred caught mum's eye and quickly busied himself with the marmalade.

"That lot won't come cheap," said George, with a quick look at his parents. "Lockhart's books are really expensive..."

"Course they are." I muttered bitterly.

"Well, we'll manage," said Mum, but she looked worried. "I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things secondhand."

"Oh, are you starting at Hogwarts this year?" Harry asked Ginny, I didn't get to see her reaction however as Perce had just walked in. He was already dressed, his Hogwarts prefect badge pinned to his sweater vest.

"Morning, all," said Percy briskly, not looking at me. "Lovely day."

He sat down in the only remaining chair, which happened to be next to me, but leapt up again almost immediately, pulling from underneath him a molting, gray feather duster — the family owl.

"Errol!" said Ron, taking the limp owl from Perce and extracting a letter from under its wing. "Finally— he's got Hermione's answer. I wrote to her saying we were going to try and rescue you from the Dursleys."

He carried Errol to a perch just inside the back door and tried to stand him on it, but Errol flopped straight off again so Ron lay him on the draining board instead, muttering, "Pathetic." Then he ripped open Hermione's letter and read it out loud:

"'Dear Ron and (Y/n), and Harry if you're there,

"I hope everything went all right and that Harry is okay and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, (Y/n), because that would get Harry into trouble, too. I've been really worried and if Harry is all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl because I think another delivery might finish your one off.