Chapter 14: Polyjuice

I woke up in the middle of the night, once more lying on the floor of a bathroom, the diary laying next to me.

I didn't stay long enough to see where I was as I quickly made my way back to the dungeons, and into my bed. I was starting to panic, this was the second time this had happened now and I had no idea how I'd gotten to the bathroom.

I told myself I must've been sleep walking, although I had never slep walked before in my life. On the bright side I had gotten significantly better at Parseltongue overnight, it seemed Tom's lessons were helping.

The snow that had begun in the night had turned into a blizzard so thick that the last Herbology lesson of the term was canceled: Professor Sprout wanted to fit socks and scarves on the Mandrakes, a tricky operation she would entrust to no one else, now that it was so important for the Mandrakes to grow quickly and revive Mrs. Norris and Colin Creevey.

I ran into Luna pretty early on in the morning and ended up spending most of the day hanging out with her. I was starting to take a real liking to her, she was always so energetic and always fun to be around.

"Is everything okay (Y/n)?" Luna asked me.

"Huh?" I asked being pulled out of my thoughts.

"You've been awfully quiet today." Luna said to me.

"Oh uh yeah I'm thinking about the attacks." I told her.

"Oh so you heard then?"

"Heard what?"

"About Justin and Nick." She said to me. "It's going around all over school, people have been saying Harry's the one behind it. And you as well."

"They've been saying I'm the one behind it?" I asked her in surprise.

"Yeah, given you're a Parseltongue." Luna told me. I should've seen that coming. "Anyway I don't believe it at all."

"Thanks Luna" I said giving her a weak smile, I'm glad at least someone believed in me.

...

The double attack on Justin and Nearly Headless Nick turned what had hitherto been nervousness into real panic. Curiously, it was Nearly Headless Nick's fate that seemed to worry people most.

What could possibly do that to a ghost? people asked each other; what terrible power could harm someone who was already dead? There was almost a stampede to book seats on the Hogwarts Express so that students could go home for Christmas.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron told Harry, Hermione, and me. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it's going to be."

"At least it'll be the perfect time to use the polyjuice potion." I said.

Crabbe and Goyle, who always did whatever Malfoy did, had signed up to stay over the holidays, too.

I was glad people were leaving, I was tired of people skirting around him in the corridors, as though I was about to sprout fangs or spit poison; tired of all the muttering, pointing, and hissing as I passed, as I'm sure Harry was as well.

Fred and George, however, found all this very funny. They went out of their way to march ahead of Harry and me down the corridors, shouting, "Make way for the Heirs of Slytherin, seriously evil wizards coming through..."

Percy was deeply disapproving of this behavior. "It is not a laughing matter," he said coldly.

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy," said Fred. "Harry's in a hurry."

"Yeah, he's off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with his fanged servant," said George, chortling.

Ginny didn't find it amusing either.
"Oh, don't," she wailed every time Fred asked me loudly who I was planning to attack next, or when George pretended to ward me off with a large clove of garlic when we met.