Chapter 5: A Long Fall

Summer vacation was nearly over, and I was looking forward to getting back to Hogwarts,
On our last evening, Mum conjured up a sumptuous dinner that included all of Harry's favorite things who, I had to admit, had a good taste in food, ending with a mouthwatering treacle pudding.

Fred, George, and I rounded off the evening with a display of Filibuster fireworks; we filled the kitchen with red and blue stars that bounced from ceiling to wall for at least half an hour. Then it was time for a last mug of hot chocolate and bed.

It took a long while to get started next morning. We were up at dawn, but somehow we still seemed to have a great deal to do. Mum dashed about in a bad mood looking for spare socks and quills; people kept colliding on the stairs, half-dressed with bits of toast in their hands; and Dad nearly broke his neck, tripping over a stray chicken as he crossed the yard carrying Ginny's trunk to the car.

When at last we were all in the car, Mum glanced into the back seat, where Harry, Ron, Fred, George, Percy, and I were all sitting comfortably side by side, and said, "Muggles do know more than we give them credit for, don't they?"

She and Ginny got into the front seat, which had been stretched so that it resembled a park bench. "I mean, you'd never know it was this roomy from the outside, would you?"

Dad started up the engine and we trundled out of the yard, George had forgotten his box of Filibuster fireworks. Five minutes after that, we skidded to a halt in the yard so that Fred could run in for his broomstick. We had almost reached the highway when Ginny shrieked that she'd left her diary.

By the time she had clambered back into the car, we were running very late, and tempers were running high.

"You were making that horrid hissing sound again last night (Y/n)." Ron told me.

Harry looked puzzled at this. "What do you mean Ron? He was mumbling something about an orphanage."

"Are you mad? It was that hissing noise again." Ron said.

Orphanage? I don't remember anything about an orphanage. Dad glanced at his watch just then and then at his wife. "Molly, dear —"

"No, Arthur —–"

"No one would see — this little button here is an Invisibility Booster I installed — that'd get us up in the air — then we fly above the clouds. We'd be there in ten minutes and no one would be any the wiser —"

"I said no, Arthur, not in broad daylight —"

We reached King's Cross at a quarter to eleven. Dad dashed across the road to get trolleys for their trunks and we all hurried into the station.

"Percy first," said Mum as we reached the partition between platform nine and ten, looking nervously at the clock overhead, which showed we had only five minutes to disappear casually through the barrier.

Percy strode briskly forward and vanished. Dad went next; Fred and George followed.

"I'll take Ginny and you three come right after us," Mum told Harry, Ron, and me, grabbing Ginny's hand and setting off. In the blink of an eye they were gone.

"Let's go together, we've only got a minute," Ron said us.

Harry went first, making sure that Hedwig's cage was safely wedged on top of his trunk and wheeling his trolley around to face the barrier.

Ron and I then pushed our trolleys into place next to Harry. We all bent low and then Ron and Harry started  towards the barrier a few feet away from it, they broke into a run and —

CRASH.

Both trolleys hit the barrier and bounced backward; Ron's trunk fell off with a loud thump, Harry was knocked off his feet, and Hedwig's cage bounced onto the shiny floor, and she rolled away, shrieking indignantly; people all around them stared and a guard nearby yelled,