00.4

Estelle thought Mondays were the worst. There was hardly anyone at the Hard Deck, the tips were shit, and no one fun was ever there. She purposely tried to avoid shifts on Monday, but there she was because no one else would pick up closing.

It was currently nine o'clock and she was refilling a regular's order when a familiar voice caught her attention, "Stelly."

Giving the drink to its rightful owner, Estelle turned around, so she was facing the person who called her name. A small smile made its way onto her face once she realized who it was, "Natty."

Estelle noticed that the woman who was sitting at the bar with her brown hair in slicked back bun had a worried look on her face but was trying to hide it, "Nat, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's nothing. I'm fine. Really," the brunette said, shaking her head, "can I get a beer though?"

"You really think I'm going to fall for that shit? I've known you forever. Let's try this again and then you can have a drink."

"Yeah, yeah fine," the brunette gave in, knowing her blonde counterpart wouldn't, "You know how we all got called back?"

"Yeah, why?"

"It's basically a suicide mission."

This caused the blonde to stop what she was doing and put both the bottle and bottle opener down, giving her friend her undivided attention: "Tell me everything you can."

"Well, you know Mav's our teacher. We basically have to fly this really tough course- lots of twists and turns- and the ceiling is only like 300 feet. We have to go fast. Two minutes and thirty seconds to target. And to get out- 10Gs. Ten- in an F-18. Against SAMs and fifth gen-"

"No chance. There's no chance. Are they insane?" The blonde questioned.

"That's what we're all thinking. Except Hangman, but you know he's... himself."

"Damn." Was all that Estelle could mutter, at a loss for words, handing her friend her beer.

"Let's not talk about that though," Nat said, taking a sip of her drink, "Fill me in on your life."

"Nothing really. Got my degrees, trying to finish my PhD, visiting my family and working here this summer to save money... uh that's really about it. What about you?"

"Went to Top Gun, graduated, started serving, came back. Pretty eventful if you ask me."

"Yeah, sure sounds like it... I just feel so bored with life right now. I want to be rebellious for once, you know? Well- actually, probably not. I forgot who I was talking to." Estelle said, giggling.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm kind of bored; or I used to be. And by rebellious you mean something like... dying your hair?" "Dying my hair." They said in unison

"Well yeah, I was thinking maybe pink." She said, pulling her on hair and twirling it around her fingers.

"So..."

"So..." The blonde woman said, questioning her brunette friend.

"Are you seeing anyone?"

"No. I don't have time for that, but also 'hot girl summer' or whatever the teenagers are calling it now. Are you?" She questioned, wiggling her eyebrows at her friend.

"No. Haven't found the right person for this type of lifestyle, you know?"

"I get it. But hey, worst case scenario, we can be old cat ladies together." Estelle said giggling, causing Nat to also giggle.

By now the bar was empty, giving the two friends time to play some much needed catch-up.

"I think it's so crazy that we're getting to live out our childhood dreams, don't you?"

"I don't quite think I fit bartending in my dreams when I was younger, but yeah, it is pretty cool."

"I honestly thought we'd both be married and have kids by now," Nat said, turning to face her friend who was now sitting on a barstool next to her.

"Yeah? Me too, I guess. God we were so delusional."

"I guess our plans have worked out so far though."

"Yeah, I guess so. You know what I found at my mom's house yesterday? You'll never believe it."

"What?"

"Our thirty-year plan."

"No way." Nat said laughing at the memories of them making it.

"I think something on your side said, 'become a pilot and marry rich' on it."

"I had my priorities straight."

"Damn right you did. If only that was reality. Mine said something like, 'become a successful badass businesswoman, or whatever you want to do. Just make sure it's badass.'"

"I remember you thought you were so badass for writing badass down," Nat said in between laughs, "at least you weren't wrong though."

"Yeah. True."

The pair were both silent before looking at each other and laughing... again.

AN:

THANK YOU ALL FOR 400+ READS HOLY SHIT!!! <3333

I love their friendship so much.

Nat and Estelle are just so AHHH!!!!! 😫😫

I miss my friends like that- I moved across the country and so now we're long distance 😋

Sorry this took longer than the other ones! Not me getting writers block already 😭 don't worry tho- I've recovered 😋

I just died the underneath of my hair pink and I'm OBSESSED so that's where that came from lol :)

But yeah anyways- I lied about the beach scene being this one cause I feel like you guys need a taste of their friendship, you know?

Anyways, the beach scene is next two ish ?? chapters... I PROMISE THIS TIME!

That's all for now,

KJ 🫶🫶

Here's a picture of my coauthor who was extremely helpful while I was writing this chapter by doing the hard work of eating my keyboard and throwing his toys at me 😁😁 isn't he helpful??