00.9

It had been three days since Estelle had talked to her mother or Maverick, and she had planned on not talking to them for a little while longer just to gather all her thoughts and process all of the information they had told her that night.

However, that plan was ruined when someone burst into the room she was currently helping a patient in. She was washing her hands and getting everything set up, when someone had rudely interrupted her: "Estelle," it was Maverick.

"Can't you see I'm busy?" She said, waving her hand in a shooing motion, clearly annoyed with the captain.

"No. And as your superior, I need to speak with you." He said, raising his eyebrows and cocking his head towards the door he just barged in through.

"Lieutenant," he said, nodding his head at the man currently sitting on the bed in the room before walking out into the hallway.

"Captain."

"I am so sorry." Estelle said, before she begrudgingly opened the door and met Maverick in the hallway.

Once in the hallway, her facade wore off and she was about to rip Maverick a new one but he stopped her before she could, "I know you're upset, and you have every right to be. But would you please just talk to your mother? You don't even have to talk to me. Just talk to her."

"God, are you stupid? You can't just barge into an  appointment like that, first of all. Second of all, have you thought of how would you feel if you were in my situation? Probably not, cause you're a selfish little bitch who doesn't care about other people's feelings. I don't even want to talk to you, I'm just doing it because I'm following orders." She said, turning around and walking into the room she was just in.

She finished her evaluation that Maverick had interrupted, and sanitized the area once "Yale" left the room. Estelle was tasked with carrying out the physical evaluations of the crew that was going on this extremely dangerous mission. She was testing both their physical and mental capabilities, and seeing as she was going to be joining the medical staff as a part of this mission, Admiral Simpson decided that her and two others would be the best to test the pilots.

She had walked out into the waiting room to call the next name on her list, "Bradley Bradshaw."

Smirking at her, he walked over to her and greeted her once they were back in the room, "Doctor."

"Not yet." She said, emphasizing the "yet" while lathering her hands in soap.

"Okay, sit down," She ordered, pointing at the bed behind him.

"I mean, if you insist."

"Shut up." She said, laughing at his poor attempt at a joke, "Okay, I need you to unzip your flight suit-"

"At least take me out to dinner first."

"So I can take your vitals." She said, rolling her eyes.

Bradley did what he was told and unzipped his suit, revealing the tight t-shirt he was wearing underneath. His muscles, very clearly defined, due to the color and tightness of the shirt causing Estelle to let out a small gasp. Luckily, and much to her surprise, Bradley didn't comment on it.

"Alright, so I'm going to need you to take a deep breath in," she explained, using her right hand to place the stethoscope on his chest and placing her left hand on his shoulder. The occasional times she would touch him, gave her goosebumps but he didn't seem phased.

She took the rest of his vitals as usual; he watched her very carefully as she did so. Occasionally she would catch him staring at her, but brushed it off. When it came time for the questionnaire, he looked at her and only her.

When they were done, she was cleaning up and he was zipping his suit back up, disappointing Estelle, he broke the uncomfortable silence: "Are you okay, like truly? Especially after the other night, I mean you seemed pretty upset."

"Yeah no I mean-"

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to but... you know."

"Yeah. I wouldn't say I'm fine. But you know how it is. I just got some pretty upsetting news and didn't know how to handle it or who else to go to. Sorry... for ruining your plans by the way," Estelle rambled on.

"Yeah I get it, but no you didn't ruin them. In fact, probably made my night better."

"Really?" She asked, cocking her head to the side.

"Yes." Bradley said, as Estelle was now fully aware of how close the two were, "You can use me as a pillow any time, Essie." He said, testing out the nickname he had come up with.

The nickname made Estelle blush, just as Bradley hoped it would. He thought she looked stunning when her cheeks turned pink.

He leaned in closer to her, and she let him, when a sudden noise of something dropping in the room next door caused the pair to jump apart; Estelle laughing as she always did in awkward moments.

AN:

Me giving you guys crumbs. CRUMBS. hehehe 😈

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow! 😃 so expect slow updates over the next few days lol

Also- I only wrote this chapter over our two day road trip 😋 I played sims the entire time instead 😭

jkjk more scenes with them are coming up 😫 IM SORRY IT WAS SUCH A SLOW BUILD UP BUT I HAD TO REVEAL SOMETHINGS AND ESTABLISH RELATIONSHIPS BEFORE.

I'm trying to heighten the tensions too 😏 but idk how well that's working so let me know lol

Okay that's all for now,

KJ 🫶🫶