00.7

The sun shone into Estelle's apartment, waking her up earlier than she had hoped to. It was five in the morning, but she didn't need to be up until six. Instead of staying in bed like she would've any other day, Estelle got out of bed and decided to take her time getting ready.

After breakfast, Estelle took a quick shower and diffused her hair. She brushed and flossed her teeth, probably longer than she ever had before, but it was her way of getting the nerves out. Seeing as she had extra time and there were a few unwanted blemishes on her face, she decided to do a full face of makeup.

By now she had fifteen minutes left before she needed to leave. Estelle had decided on a checkered pencil skirt, black turtleneck sweater, a checkered blazer to match the skirt, black tights, and her black Dr. Martens loafers.

Grabbing her purse and keys, Estelle locked the door to her apartment and made her way to her car. Once in her car, she decided to play her "hype me up" playlists in hopes of calming her nerves. As soon as "Tia Tamara" came on, she was only focused on the lyrics and driving. Any and all doubt, left her mind.

Once on the base, Estelle followed the directions Maverick had texted her the night before. Looking down at her phone and not paying attention, she bumped into someone, causing her to stumble backwards.

"I'm so sorry, I should've been watching where I was going." She rattled off, not paying attention to who she was talking to.

"Estelle," he said, causing her to look up.

"Oh, Bradley. Hey. Sorry."

"No worries," he said, flashing her a smile that would've made her weak in the knees if she already wasn't, "what are you doing here?"

"I have an interview. I'm trying to find Admiral Simpson's office. Do you know how to get there? These directions Maverick gave me are a little confusing." She asked, hoping he would know.

Getting lost had caused her to be more nervous than she already was, but seeing a familiar face had helped ease her nerves.

"Yeah, c'mon I'll walk you there."

"Thank you so much." She said, smiling at the man in front of her.

The pair walked down the halls side by side, making small talk on their way to the Admiral's office. Their shoulders bumped twice on the walk, both apologizing each time.

Bradley came to a stop in front of a closed door with a frosted glass window, "Here's your stop m'lady."

"Thank you, kind sir."

"Anything for you." He said with a wink before walking off, leaving Estelle standing flabbergasted in front of the Admiral's door.  

She took a minute to compose herself before knocking on the door.

After her interview, Estelle was offered a job in the medical ward on the base. Estelle had her bachelor's in nursing and once she got her master's she became a nurse practitioner. She had several years behind her working in a trauma center during her residency days and she was currently working on getting her PhD.

Afterwards, she was given a tour of the base and an in-depth tour of the medical ward. She met some of her future coworkers, as well as her future bosses. Estelle was given a bunch of paperwork to fill out and finish before the end of the day.

Following her eventful day on base, she went to her mother's house to tell her the good news. When she arrived, Maverick was over and they were all eating dinner and Estelle joined them. To the unsuspecting eye, they looked like they could be a happy family but there was some sort of tension in the air and Estelle was unsure as to why.

"Well, good news. I got the job." She said, smiling, hoping to get rid of some of the awkwardness.

"I knew you would." Her mother said, smiling proudly at her daughter.

Maverick also chimed in, seeming slightly on edge, "Congrats kiddo."

"Thanks for telling me about it, I don't think I would've taken it otherwise."

At this point, Amelia excused herself to go do homework and it was just the three of them left. It was an awkward silence. Penny kept looking at Maverick, who kept avoiding looking in her direction.

When Penny thought her daughter wasn't listening, she whispered to Maverick through gritted teeth, "Tell her."

"I- Penny-" He stumbled over his words, unsure of what to say.

"Tell me what?" Estelle said, now fully paying attention to Penny and Maverick's conversation.

AN:

Another cliff hanger?!?!

I call everything a cliff hanger though so I don't really know if this qualifies lols...

The next update probably won't be for a little bit again, I'm still on vacation and have had literally no time to write :/

Also, happy fourth I guess... I literally did not sleep the other day there were so many fireworks it sounded like a literal warzone. But go America! (I guess?? not really though lmao) 😋

Anyways... what do you think they're gonna tell her???

Also- me updating before midnight? Who'd thought 🤨👆

Me realizing in order to write a Rooster fanfic I actually have to write scenes with him in them: 😃

Also if you can't already tell... I know nothing about the navy or becoming a doctor. But this is fanfiction... so does it really need to make sense 🤔

THANK YOU FOR 1.25k READS AND ALL THE LOVE!!! YOU GUYS ARE INSANE (but I still love you 💕💕)

Leave any questions or comments!!

lols that's all for now,

KJ 🫶🫶