00.5

Wednesdays were Estelle's favorite days. The Hard Deck was closed on Wednesdays so she didn't have work, which meant she could do whatever she wanted to do. However, this particular Wednesday, she found herself back at the Hard Deck because her mother was there doing some work and her sister needed math help.

Since it was cooler out, the sisters decided to work outside. Amelia was taking precalculus and thought that because her older sister took precalculus and calculus, she would be able to help; but because Estelle had taken both during her undergrad days, she was really no help at all but still tried her best.

Because it had been so long, she knew how to do the problems and get the right answers. But she couldn't explain the processes she took to get the answers. She just knew how to do it.

"Ugh! This is hopeless. The unit circle is so stupid, why do I even need to know about it?" Amelia said, frustratedly running a hand through her hair and glaring at her sister.

"I don't know. Don't look at me. I didn't make the curriculum." Estelle said, throwing her hands up in defense.

"Whatever, I'm done with this." Amelia exclaimed, getting up from her seat and walking back inside.

Estelle continued to sit outside and watch the people further down the beach. She was lost in her own thoughts when someone blew a whistle, catching her attention.

There was a group of adults on the beach playing what appeared to be football... but with two footballs. Estelle soon realized that one of the adults was Maverick and came to the conclusion that this was one of his drills.

Her mother also joined her outside and she assumed that all the shouting caught her attention as well. The pair watched the group of Naval aviators tackle each other and try to score points for their respective teams for roughly two hours. Neither of them were complaining though, considering most of the men were shirtless and not that bad to look at.

Turning towards her mother, Estelle cleared her throat and decided to break the silence, "Is it a requirement to be attractive to join the Navy?"

Her mother laughed and shrugged while saying, "I guess so."

Maverick realized the two were watching and opted out of the game, making his way over to the pair, "Penny. Stelle." He said, greeting them while smiling.

"Hey Pete." Penny said, moving over to where Maverick was so they could talk in "private."

While they were talking, Estelle continued to watch the group of Naval officers make fools out of themselves.

"Like what you see?" A voice questioned, causing Estelle to turn towards the direction it came from.

Taking in the sight before her, "Bagman," a slight smile forming on her face, "could be better."

"Wow, not gonna let that one go are you?"

"Nope." She said, popping the p.

"You know, you are one tough girl to please. Most girls would be lucky to see this." He said, slightly flexing to make his abs more defined.

"Good thing I'm not most girls." She said, winking at the man standing in front of her.

Next thing she knew, a pair of arms were wrapped around her waist, and she was lifted into the air. The sudden movement caused her to let out a girlish shriek.

Looking down on the person who had picked her up, "Oh my god! Bradley put me down!" She exclaimed.

He did as he was told and put her down. In the ocean.

When she had cleared the salt water from her eyes, she saw Nat give Bradley a high five as she was laughing.

"Nat!" Estelle said, standing up and walking over towards her friend.

"You should've seen your face." Nat said once Estelle was standing next to her.

"Yeah. You look a little hot though... do you need to cool off?" Estelle said, turning her head to the side.

"No. No. No." Nat said, shaking her head and taking several steps back.

Nat ran, trying to escape Estelle while she chased after her. Both women were laughing while trying to get the other one in the ocean. It reminded them of their time spent on the beach when they were younger; temporarily transporting them back, allowing them to forget all of their adult worries.

Estelle finally caught Nat and was able to push her into the ocean, "Haha! I win!" She said, jumping up and down and pointing at her friend.

AN:

Next one's probably gonna be short just so it doesn't drag out!!

What do you guys prefer: chapters this length, shorter or longer?

Can you guys see how hard I'm trying to build the tension without actually building it? (Does that even make sense?)

Sorry for not updating the other day!!! I had work. Gotta make that bag 😋

IF I SAW THIS TIKTOK SO DO YOU. Literally out here making me cry.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdoAo31t/?k=1

Okay, that's all for now. Please tell me what you think!!

KJ 🫶🫶