1.4

Instead of going back to her apartment after her conversation with Nat, Estelle stopped by the Hard Deck, hoping her mother would be there and would be able to give her advice to deal with her predicament. When she pulled into the lot, Estelle put her car in park and took several deep breaths before stepping out of her car and opening the door to the Hard Deck.

Hearing the familiar jingle of the bells above the door, her mother's voice rang out through the empty bar, "Bar doesn't open until five!"

"It's just me ma," Estelle said, rounding the corner of the bar and coming into her mom's sight.

"Oh, hey." Penny said, smiling at her daughter.

"Can I ask you for some advice?" Estelle asked, sitting down at the bar.

This question caused Penny to stop what she was doing and give her daughter her undivided attention, "Yeah of course. What's the matter?"

"So much."

Estelle explained her situation with Bradley, leaving out a few details here and there, and her conversations with Nat and Maverick: "And to top it all off, we're leaving in two days for the mission." She said, sighing and setting her head down on the bar top.

"Well, it seems like you've got your hands full." Penny said, chuckling, earning a groan from her daughter.

"I'm serious, mom." Her daughter complained.

"I know, I'm just messing around. Here's what I think," Penny started, causing Estelle to lift her head up to look at her mom, "talk to Bradley and see what he has to say. But I'm proud of you for talking to Pete. That was an extremely grown up thing for you to do."

"Mom. I'm an adult, of course it's going to be a grown up thing."

"I'm serious, Estelle. Maybe you should talk to Pete too." Penny said, a small smile present on her face. "You should reconcile, just... just in case."

"Don't say it like that. I guess you're right though. Thanks," Estelle said, reaching over the bar to give her mom a hug.

The next day, Estelle found herself at Maverick's house after work and after a day of successfully avoiding Bradley. They were leaving for the mission tomorrow and Estelle decided her mother was right, and she needed to make amends with Maverick. Her amends with Bradley could wait until tomorrow.

Estelle knocked on Maverick's door, lighter and quieter than the previous day. The door opened, revealing Maverick wearing a confused look on his face, "Estelle?"

"Hey."

"Come in." He said, moving to the side so she could enter his house.

Estelle stood in the doorway while Maverick closed and locked the door. He then led her to the living room and gestured for her to sit down on the couch while he took a seat in a chair next to the couch she was sitting on.

"Hey kid, what's up?" Maverick asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm sorry for blowing up at you the other night. I just-"

"It's okay. I understand. It was a lot to take in," Maverick said, cutting her off.

"I would, however, like answers?" She asked, slightly tilting her head.

Nodding his head, Maverick looked at her before beginning his story on how he and her biological mother met. As it turns out, her mother was a civilian contractor with the call sign "Charlie." She and Maverick met on one of his first nights at Top Gun.

"We weren't ready to be parents. Charlie and Penny were friends. Penny was already married and had been having some fertility issues so she decided to adopt you. Charlie had hoped she would be able to still be active in your life, kind of like how I've been, but she uh... unfortunately died while giving birth."

"Oh." Was all that Estelle was able to mutter.

After taking it all in, she finally spoke up: "I feel kind of shitty now." She said, laughing.

"Honestly, I thought your reaction would be a lot worse."

"Yeah, well... anyways," Estelle started, wanting to change the subject, "I heard you got your job back?"

"Yeah, all thanks to you though." Maverick said, smiling at his daughter.

"Well, you're welcome then." Estelle said, smiling while crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back on the couch.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?"

"I feel like I should be asking you that question. But yeah, I guess so. How are you feeling?"

"I feel good. Yeah. We're ready."

"What about the others?" Estelle asked, worried about her friends.

"They're... I think they're ready. I don't know what they think though."

"Do you know who's flying yet?"

"No. We're picking that out tomorrow."

"I see," Estelle said, glancing down at her phone and seeing the time, "I think I'm going to get going. Early day tomorrow." She said, standing up.

Maverick followed her lead and stood up as well, and walked her to the door. Estelle turned around once she was on the porch and gave Maverick a hug. He was shocked at first, but was quick to return it. He smiled while standing on the porch and watching her get in her car and drive off.

AN:

Estelle and Mav made up. My heart 😫🫶

Me just realizing I leave for college in four days: 😃

Only two more chapters left ✋😔

Unless... if you guys want an epilogue, I'm open to it. Just how far into the future should we go (1 month, 1 year, 5 years, etc.)?

Fun fact cause I don't think I said this lol but Estelle's full name is Estelle Azure Benjamin; Estelle meaning star and Azure meaning blue sky. Because of Mav's flying and love for the sky, Penny helped Charlotte pick out the name too 😋

ALSO MAV IN DAD MODE >>

That's all from me,

KJ 🫶🫶