014.

Disappointment looms across her face.

In the past year, Jisoo Kim has grown especially fond of Park Chaeyoung. Even though they didn't work alongside one another, they'd keep in contact over text and often met up for breakfast or lunch on the weekends, sharing stories about the struggles of working with a moody perfectionist like Jeon Jungkook. If there was anything that she knew, in the years of working by his side, it was that Jeon Jungkook treated her differently. Jeon Jungkook smiled more, she'd noticed (and heard from her office mates via text and call) and spiralled into his tirades less often than usual. Moreso, she saw the way he acted on her birthday celebration and the gentleness in his eyes for her.

Anyone could see it, that the pair had some sort of connection, some sort of bond with one another.

So why wasn't he here?

It's Park Chaeyoung's last official day in Jeon Winery and Distillery and the office, by tradition, hosted a going away party.

While short, Jisoo Kim knows that young woman had a meaningful and impactful role in the company. In Kim Seokjin's words, she was the "bright energy that livened our building" and had started a culture of warmth and welcome. She could see from her the corner of her eyes, that the other girl was confused to notice that her boss (soon to be ex-boss) wasn't there.

"Chaeyoung," Jisoo Kim wraps her arms around her small frame, "... you're finally free. Officially at least, don't think that I'll let you cancel on our weekend brunch dates."

Park Chaeyoung giggles, a smile across her face but even so, Jisoo Kim knows she's secretly looking out of the man she'd worked under for the last year.

"He'll come, I'm sure," she tries to smile, though honestly, Jisoo Kim herself doesn't know—the man hasn't answered her texts too.

"What? No, I'm not waiting for Mr. Jeon..." her cheeks turn bright red.

"I didn't say you were," the smile grows across the side of her lip, "... he might be caught up with something, I'm sure he'll come."

"He said he had other plans..." she explains with a sigh, "... do you think he'd forgotten?"

"You like him, don't you?" She questions.

But Jisoo Kim knows the answer already.

Park Chaeyoung surprises her with her answer.

"I think I do."

Jisoo Kim swears she'll personally burn him if he doesn't show up by the time the party is over.

-

This is where their story ends.

That's what Park Chaeyoung realises when he picks her up from the lobby telling her that it'll probably be the final time that they'll ride to work together. He tells her that he can't drop her home because he has something to do, but that since she'd going to her going away party, she can tag along with one of the other office workers.

The mood felt different, she can feel a change in the air.

Honestly working for Jeon Jungkook has been a rollercoaster and a part of her is glad that the instability can finally be over, that she can finish the job and say she'd did it and survived. Yet, at the same time, she felt sad too, letting go a year's worth of memories.

She feels stupid, standing in her own going away party and over analysing everything that had happened in the day. Did she say something wrong? Was he only being nice because she was his assistant?

He'd barely spoken to her even at work, and while normally they'd have lunch together he suddenly disappeared and told her to have lunch on her own.

She feels played.

Yet her mind still comes up with a million scenarios in her head- What if he was sick and is in hospital?

Park Chaeyoung, you are a stupid girl!

One year of lessons.

She takes another sip from her cocktail before deciding that there's really no point waiting around. Knowing that she's slightly intoxicated and in no condition to drive, she takes out her phone ready to call her driver when she gets a text from him.

[Ms. Park. You left something in your office. Please collect it now before Jisoo comes in tomorrow.]

It takes everything for her not to text him that she hates him and thinks he's stupid!

[Okay, I'm coming now. I'll also leave my keycard on the table too.]

She waits, seeing the text bubble pop up before disappearing.

Did that dickhead really leave her on read?!

-

The mood is eerie as she makes her way up the elevator, onto the floor of the office. She's surprised to see the lights are still on for her office and when she opens the door, she sees a letter on her table.

Is this what she supposedly left behind?

Picking up the letter, she reads it to see a few short words.

~ This year's wine release is inspired by you, Ms. Park~

She knits her brow upwards in confusion. Somehow, the words weren't coherent.

Suddenly, the sound of him clearing his throat makes her jump as she turns seeing him leaning against the door frame with a bottle of wine and two empty glasses.

"Ms. Park, have you read the note?" His voice is low as he takes slow steps towards her, putting down the glasses on the table before handing her the bottle, "... sorry I kept it a secret, but—"

She slowly looks at the bottle, a new elegant bottle.

Jeon Winery & Distillery

Rosé

2022

Her voice is quivering, "... we're releasing a rosé wine? B-but you never do wines outside of red or white."

"An unexpected release. Just like the person who inspired it," he speaks as he confidently opens the bottle, "... at midnight, you'll officially no longer be employed by me."

She nods, still processing everything that was happening.

"So there's nothing stopping me," he looks up at the clock, which just turned 12, "... I like you, Chaeyoung. From the moment you stepped into this office, I knew you'd leave a mark in my life."

"Jungkook..." her voice is a whisper, "... I thought you were angry at me."

He chuckles, "... I didn't ever plan on releasing a rosé in my life time, but since I'm already breaking expectations, will you be my girlfriend?"

unexpected? more like unexpectedly uwu right ^_^