5. La Maison - Home

A minute passed by since André left, and there was pin drop silence. Neither of us had anything left to say.

"Listen to me, dad. I can do anything for you, but not this. Just not this. So, don't ever come to me with girls like her, they disgust me to no end."

Girls like me? I wondered what type that was, and then I remembered him looking at me up and down. I did the same to myself, and found the problem. My skirt was too loose and too long, my shirt was full sleeved, and I had a sweater on top.

I compared myself to the girls I'd often seen him with, in magazines and newspapers. Short, tight dresses, heels taller than their original height, and the same red lips. Of course, a girl with glasses and tied up hair would look like a grandma to him.

My free fingers slowly turned inwards, forming fists. I needed to control my ire, I couldn't let it loose so early. There was a whole year left to survive, and I couldn't throw fits like a spoiled child. Like him.

I had to succeed. No matter what.

My fists tightened, and the power in them increased. I was doing a good job redirecting all that energy and ire to my hands. Even if I get a hundred more scratches on my palms, it was better than causing trouble to someone else.

Florian sighed, and looked at me. I met his eyes, and saw absolute despair in them. The helplessness of not being able to do anything, was weighing him down and aging him beyond his years. I could see that, now that I was sitting this close to him.

When I used to watch him on TV, I never imagined that his seemingly perfect life would be no less stressful and difficult than mine. But, anything that sounds like soulful music from afar, is nothing but pandemonium when you go near it.

"Lizette, what happened tonight, wasn't the last time. The world of fashion is a cutthroat world, and people will be waiting at every turn to try to push you down. They will bully you, pummel you, and even try to push you out of the race, before you've even learned to stand on your feet. You might feel like I've deceived you, but my son isn't the only person you will have to fight."

His words cut through me, settled deep inside, comforted me, and angered me. What was the point of warning me, when the choice has been made?

"Mr. Beaumont, I had thoroughly prepared myself when I came here. I hadn't been leading a comfortable life previously. My life too, was cutthroat and difficult. I understand your concern, but it's not like I can go back now. Since you have already given me one year, this year is mine. And I will decide how to lead myself best in the future."

He sighed again, and I almost felt sorry for saying all those things to him. Almost. If this was a cutthroat world, I would start practicing with him.

"Next summer, the CEO appointment is coming up, and I want André totally ready to take over. That's my only wish, and I don't care how you prepare him for it. I will leave the detailed process in your hands." He said, and I nodded.

This was it. Power struggle was the issue. But it didn't matter to me, as long as I wasn't affected by it.

"I've booked a place for your mama in the best hospital. Brice will drive you there, and you may spend the night with her if you wish. Tomorrow, he will bring you to my house, where you will stay for the time being," Florian told me, and I nodded again.

"And, as for the debt, I will pay the amount in full the day your marriage papers and contract are signed. The sum total was a million euros, right?"

I nodded, still stupefied by his nonchalance. "Yes. A million euros."

As I said those numbers out loud, my heart sank in my chest a little more. Just the thought of paying back such a ginormous amount gave me shivers. Had I been living back in Chantilly, it would take me at least twenty more years to pay the amount in full. That too, if I earned four times more than my current pay.

Luck must really be on my side for once.

"I'll come back tomorrow morning. Tonight, I will stay with mama. And... merci pour tout."

(Thank you for everything.)

He gave me a small smile, and I picked up my bag. The ride down the elevator was silent, as many people had left the building. It was nearing nine, and I'm sure mama must be famished.

This time, I went straight to the basement parking lot. Brice had texted me he would be there, but the parking lot was too huge for me to find the black luxury car. Especially when every car in here surpassed the other in brand name and money.

I took my phone out and called Brice, someone's ringtone immediately sounding from the back of the parking lot.

"Ms. Fontaine? Where are you?" Brice asked me.

"In the parking lot. I'm coming." I told him and cut the phone.

Crossing three more rows, I finally saw him standing in front of the car. Mama was seated inside, and she looked tired. Still, the sight of me put an instant smile on her face, and that sight made me crack one too.

She was now the only person in this world who could make me smile like that. She was the only solace I had.

She was the only home I had.

♣︎ ♣︎ ♣︎